Hydraulic lift repair pictures

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
koenr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic lift repair pictures

Post by koenr »

While waiting for the new gasket and filter, I thought I could share some pictures I took during my lift repair: the famous position control pin wear issue.

The lift cover

Open, may be for the first time in 52 years: rust, condensation, dirt

View in the lift housing. On the left is the pump and the filter, I still don't know what the tin on the right is for.

On the left the worn one, on the right a replacement I welded up and grinded round.

You can see the hollow wear on the position controll pin very well in between the two springs when lifting up the whole position control mechanism. I found the cam being very rough. Everything apart from the ram cylinder and the cross shaft needs to be taken out :-(

The filter doesn't need replacing according to the manual. I think I will ignore that advice and replace it anyway.

EDIT: now I know how to include pictures from Picasaweb, I got rid of the link for easier viewing.
Last edited by koenr on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 Dexta

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Hydraulic lift repair pictures

Post by Trevorthetractor »

Do you know the lengths of the numbered bolts? Are they all unc? I have my cover off at present but some bolts are missing.

koenr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by koenr »

I'll measure them up later this week and post the lengths - the cover is still of.
1960 Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The "thing in the tin can" is the intake filter, the one you have in your hand is the exhaust filter. You do not have to change the intake filter as it is a washable gauze.

The valve at the bottom of the exhaust filter keeps the system pressure at around 11 psi to make the unload valve work.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

koenr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by koenr »

Thanks for the info Brian. I guess, seen the condition of the outlet filter, I'll take this one out as well and give it a good rinse :-)

I noticed an error in the previous lay out picture of the lift cover screws. So I removed it, took a proper picture, redone the numbering and added the length of the screws now too. All measured in mm under the hexagon, so only the length of the narrow part - I thought this was more useful, because new screws can have other thickness hexagons. The number between brackets is the required number of screws.

1960 Dexta

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Trevorthetractor »

Many thanks for the screw list it looks fine now :-) i have just checked the peg that controls the lift arms and it is worn, would you mind describing how to remove the arm please. many thanks.

koenr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by koenr »

Ah, I see you are based in Leeds - I was there a couple of days ago :-(. Shame I didn't notice this earlier - we could have had a good Dexta chat :-)

Basically the whole control mechanism has to be taken out, apart from the Qualy control/position control lever. That can stay in with it's bracket. I'm sorry I didn't take intermediate pictures - it is not so nice to handle a camera with dirty hands. My lift is assembled, but not installed yet - waiting for the gasket and O-rings.

Side
- Disassemble the quadrant
- Remove the tension screw on the lever, the lever plate (be careful with the cork friction disk)
- Remove the 4 bolts that hold the whole quadrant assembly and remove it. I had to replace the gasket there with one I cut out of gasket paper.

Rear
- Remove the big qualicontrol spring by turning the knuckle
- Remove the 3 bolts from the back plate
- Be careful when removing the felt disk
- Remove all split pins you can find and the pins they hold
- Remove the nuts that hold the large springs and get the mechanisms out
- Remove the nut or clip that sits on the axle of the quadrant lever on the inside of the lift, under the piston rod
- You can now fiddle a bit to get the whole mechanism out
I took the piston rod out aswel, to make it a little bit more accessible. It might be not necessary.

Required new split pens are size 2 mm and 3 mm if I remember well.
1960 Dexta

koenr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by koenr »

All seals arrived and the lift went back on and ... it worked like I never experienced it: with very precise height control - nice :-D
Putting the lift back on without an engine lift was not easy: I put it on with the paper seals and without the O-rings first, then wedged the lift up, aligned the paper seal and put the O-rings in place. Pictures for inspiration for who doesn't have an engine lift either...
Lift hanging on cross beams
Seal and O-rings correctly in place: it can go down by removing the wooden blocks under the cross beams
1960 Dexta

ADFDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ADFDexta »

Do you know what torque setting the bolts have to be tightened up to when putting the top cover back on?

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thank you for posting this, It's only a matter of time before I will need to do it myself.

Regards

Ian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Ian
Those pics and advice are a goldmine!
Regarding replacing the whole assembly, and this goes for mating engine to clutch housing etc. If you find a long spare bolt or two then cut the heads off and grind the top with flats to take a spanner. Insert this bolt (or more) into the base and then you can slide down the top housing/engine etc knowing you are very close to the final alignment. Once together then unbolt your guide bolts using the flats for the spanner. O rings are easily displaced by trying to move the assembly sideways for that final few mm.
Only MHO!
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Wise words!

I think I will make some up before refitting top. Another option would be some threaded bar and then screw on 2 nuts after top is on and clamp nuts up to remove threaded bar.

Regards

Martin
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I think the threads UNC from memory , I used 4 long bolts with the hex cut off , then ground a bit of a taper . last time I refit the cover .
does make the job a lot easier / safer .

think about were u screw the studs / length of stud ,/ depth of hole in the lift cover , if the studs don't stick thru , u cant get em out again ! , cover off again ! :oops: bin there done that :oops:

all part of the fun :beer:
then save the studs ' some were safe ' for next time , prob same stud for the bell housing , cant remember .
most threads UNC or UNF I think ( coarse / fine )
my local highly recommended engineers supply love me popping in with more rust filthy scrap to match threads :beer: :beer:
only ever one thread / plug that they could not match the thread to / they could not identify the thread at all ,that's the plug for the check valve . no one new what that thread is ??? proper mystery ?
all the best
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

ADFDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ADFDexta »

We're the hydraulics not working properly or were you just checking over them

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Very good information here which I shall refer to at some point in the future, once again it proves the value of a good forum such as this.

:clap: :clap:

Regards

Ian