Stuck in gear - Gear stick weld?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Prototype
Not Quite Blue Yet

Stuck in gear - Gear stick weld?

Post by Prototype »

Hello everyone, my Dexta gets stuck in gear mainly when coming out of reverse. I have been searching the internet and posts on here for precise details on welding the end of the gear stick but I keep coming across a lot of dead links when looking for photos of peoples welding, the links relate to the "Old Forum?"

Anyway do you need to weld one side more than the other on the ball or evenly all round?

Thank you guys :beer: :beer:

Prototype
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Stuck in gear - Gear stick weld?

Post by Prototype »

Anyone??? Please :? :?

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

just weld on the stick evenly around the ball and grind it down to a square same size as the hole in the shifter. I think it was around 1/2 inch
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

howdy; I have a 1961 Dexta. Got stuck in gear all the time IF not careful. Bought a brand new shifter assy complete and it still does the same thing. I've thought about welding up the old one to a larger size and see how it works. It seems to me that the SHIFT RAILS are far too loose and could be part of the problem. I do not plan on splitting the tractor to look into the problem however when it needs a new clutch or something I will look into the solution then. I just move the High/Low shifter into neutral position, remove the bolts/shift tower, re-set the rails and re-assemble. Even keep the wrench taped to the throttle lever. Most every Dexta that I know of with a lot of use has this problem. I'm sure they worked great when new however it is a pain when you are doing some work that requires shifting the tranny a lot. Best of Luck on resolving your issue.
brownsmule in NC USA

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

the problem is that the shifters wear equally with the gearstick , so with a new one you can face the same problem soon. so the best is to weld on and grind down to excact fit. My super has another problem. The gearstick can be mowed transversly towards the third gear when in first. that means that the ball can pass on the wrong side of the shifter. It doesn't lock up there so I haven't done anything about it.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Prototype
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Prototype »

Thank you for your comments, I will have a go at welding the end of the gear stick and will let you know what happens. I might need to look at the pins/springs that lock the shift rods because I don't think they are locking the rods into neutral properly.

Phil C
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Phil C »

Hi All
I'm in the process of restoring my SuperDexta and like the rest of you the gear shift is a bit dodgy. The gearbox is in bits on the garage floor at the moment ad it is now an idea time to change the cups or what ever you want to call them (what the gear stick go's into) thing is doe's anybody know where I can buy some new ones? I would have a go at building up and reworking but I'm not sure what shape they sould be. Any boby got any ideas?
Cheers Phil :!: