Top Link Rocker

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Top Link Rocker

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the top link rocker from my Dexta.

Mervyn

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Re: Top Link Rocker

Post by justjamiefarming »

If you have a safety frame fitted, you should be able to use a small car jack horizontally against the frame to push out the pin.

Failing that you might have to remove a mudguard and/or some lift linkage to get a good swing for driving it out.

Regards, Jamie.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for that advice Jamie. At the moment the tractor has no wheels or mudgaurds in the way. I will have it a go and see what happens.

Mervyn

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
i made a puller useing high tensile threaded bar , and heavy washers bushes ect.

worked with a flash of heat , then a loud crack each time it moved .
the ends of mine were to corroded to try punching it out , the rust had prob expanded the bush too . but once it moved a thuo then it came out .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Tom Lad

Your plan sounds great but i'm a bit lost on how your puller works :oops: . Do you perhaps have a picture or drawing :?:
I did think of heat but I was been a bit hesitant to try it.

Thanks
Mervyn

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

I'm sure I remember reading on here about someone running a weld down the centre of the bush to free it off as its prone to corrosion. I think replacment bushes are around for relitivley cheap (less than £8).
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for you input Ed. Yes you are right about running a weld across a bush to release it. Unfortunately I am at a point where I have not yet been able to remove the pin that supports the rocker. I had another look at the rocker this afternoon and almost made up my mind to let sleeping dogs lie. The holes where the top link pin goes thru are slightly worn but taking into consideration my Dexta is not going to be a work tractor whats the point.

Thank you guys for your comments.

Mervyn

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
the ends of the bush on mine were rotten , so the rocker was going to wear of the bushing, fall off .
i ran a hacksaw down the gap the release the top link rocker , then i was left with the rusty bush stuck in the middle .
the rocker bush is about 1 " o/ d. from memory , the bushing on the end of my home made puller a bit less ( the bush was a old socket ) the threaded bar is m14 high tensile .

thread runs thru the rocker bush , bit of heavy pipe at one side to allow the rocker bush to be pulled out ,( the bush will pull in to the pipe so pipe i/d prob 30 mm ) + a few heavy washers.
i pulled to the right , tightened up the bolt left it under load for a day no effect so i flashed a bit of heat on the casting which did the trick , loud crack each time the bush moved , retighten bolt to keep it comeing .
i think use caution when heating castings with oxy propane .
local agco dealer ( we dont have a local N H ) had new bushs on the shelf .
hope this makes sence
tom

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Tom

That plan of yours sounds great but in my case the pin holding the rocker within the bush is still sound but it don't move anywhere. I have decided to not remove my rocker as it just has a bit of ware on the holes where the pin to secure the top link goes through. Thank you for sharing you device with us, a very simple and practical tool.

Mervyn :clap:

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

no problems mate :beer:

as i say the reason i replaced mine was because the outer ends were the rocker pivots was rotten and would have soon worn thru completly .

all the best