Milky Looking Transmission Fluid

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Milky Looking Transmission Fluid

Post by fireman74 »

I would like to know how to change the fluid in my transmission and rear end to get all the milky substance out of the transmission. What can I add to the fluid to clear this up and what is causing this?? :scratchhead:

dexta roadless
True Blue

Re: Milky Looking Transmission Fluid

Post by dexta roadless »

The milky fluid is coming from water in the oil due to condensation in the cavity above the oil level. When you drive the tractor, the oil and water get mixed together. I don't know how to prevent it except from change the oil when it gets too bad.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

What oil(weight) do u use in transmission and how often do u change it?

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

30 weight or 20/30 is the recommended oil right through the dexta , i think it says tarnny oil should be changed
every 1000hrs to stop codesation depends a lot on climate ect when outside ,but rule of thumb if it is kept inside
in a resonable dry shed it should help :D sky blue

IndianaDex
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IndianaDex »

I have had the same issue with my transmission oil as well. I am new to tractors and all things diesel, but have a great resource living next door, my neighbor. I was telling him about the problem and he told me the following tips for my Dexta.

First is to put a coffee can over the shifters if it sits in the rain and weather. Water can get in that way as there is no seal or boot on mine. Don't think it came with one.

Second is condensate will form regardless, an it won't hurt nuthin if it is just a bit.

He also said, oil ain't cheap, so here is what you do to save oil. Let the tractor sit in the hot sun for about a week if you can. Oil and water naturally do not mix unless mechanically stirred up. As it sits, the water will seperate from most of the oil and go to the bottom of the mix. On a hot afternoon, open the drain and drain off slowly the watery mix till you see clean oil. Stop the drain when the oil is clear. Fill up what you took out with fresh oil and you save a few quarts from getting tossed and a few bucks.

I didn't try his method yet, as my oil was probably original from the color of it. I replaced it all just to make sure. However, he was right, the oil I took out sat in the shed for a week or so till I was going to burn some brush, When I went in to get it for the fire, lo and behold, the oil on top was a pretty amber and the milky white was at the bottom of the can. Next time I am going to try this and see if I can save a few dollars to apply somewhere else on the tractor.

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

I think the newer oils of today have better qualities than the older oils. Todays additives protect the metals and rubbers and help keep the water suspended. (according to the oil guru at our farm store) For me its 65 bucks worth of oil every couple years. I rarely own a tractor long enough to need to change it twice. And my 3 point hydraulics are as firm and rock steady as ever. (if only I could say the same :( :( ))

dave
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue