Dexta owner / worker newbie

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta owner / worker newbie

Post by burrII »

hello, longtime Dexta owner/user and I have just found this site. I bought mine from a local owner that farmed it for many years and I have owned since '95, requiring only light driveway and clearing. Soon as i figure out the photos, Ill post and get back to yall with a bunch of questions Ive had for years.
on the banks of the Savannah

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta owner / worker newbie

Post by burrII »

OK, me thinks the photos worked. According to serial no, it is a '59 model, and as you can see, not a show-horse. But so far, a real work-horse.

It is my first tractor and I didnt really know anything, just had a few $$ and really needed to work some hilly rocky clay based woods into a driveway (900 feet), homesite and support for 10 acres of hardwood / pine woods. Tractor is barn kept but not very well maintained. Other than an oil change and hydraulic fluid change and several batteries, it has been 'fuel it and go'. And Ive probably put only couple hundred hours on it since I got it (1995), a few at a time with only one stretch (about a year) of non-use. It is addicted to starting fluid. It is strong ; just cant be in a rush as it has lots of play in the steering, slow response with the clutch, needs brakes, and maybe more operational issues to address.

It is time to either start a maintenance program and fix what Ive got, or sell it and find a newer similar sized Ford (3000 ?). So, is the Dexta a tractor that is common and can be maintained and worked with ? Heck, until just since Ive been around here, I always thought it was a '61 or '62 SuperDexta, thats what the fella that sold it to me said.

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

Your efforts on the pics worked out great!! There must have been a bunch of those sold down your way as I have seen several on e-bay and for sale on craigs lists from the south east. I have found parts to be very easy to get, and the tractor is very straight forward to work on. It was built to last, and also built to be serviceable. Few things are as fun and rewarding as restoring and spending time with an old friend like you have there.... Start checking your local tractor junk yards for parts or sheet metal, and the new stuff is easy to find on the net.....

Dave...
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

Thanks for the photos! Dave is right. Parts are pretty available. Even though you don't see too many of them in the States, comparatively speaking, parts can be fairly easily obtained. They're good solid tractors and worth putting a little into them to keep them going. I do wish there were a way to track their ownership and purchase history though-I think it would be interesting to see when and where they traveled. Good to see another one with the underswept exhaust. I was beginning to think mine was an oddity. Good luck with it!

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Good to see another South Carolinian on here.. hope you get on well with the Dexta...

There is a ford 3000 at my dad's place..gas engine, 4 speed trans, standard pto.....
most work I'd rather do with my Dexta..
live pto makes the mowing much easier, the diesel pulls much better even though it's rated less gross hp, and the 6 speed
trans makes it easier to find the right gearing for whatever the conditions are.. (Hey, I sound biased :lol: ) ...
Jack

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I've run tractors off and on for the last 40 years. Last spring I purchased a Dexta and fell in love with it. Wonderful tractor that I couldn't possibly think of selling. Every time I start it I smile :D . I think it would be well worth your effort to fix your's up and keep it. I just tore mine apart to paint.
Good luck with your tractor.
Chris

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

Thanks for the replies. Until I found the 'net, I was really lost with this ole 'Ford', especially since the FordTractorStore closed in Aiken (several years ago). They were the only place around that I could get any part for oleblue. Hey commander, yeah Im a lifetime Carolina boy, down here on the other end, kinda near Augusta. If I were to find a nice 3000, it would be in diesel. My main concern is power steering as the oleblue is challenging in a woodsy surrounding (with a lotta play in the wheel). Like I said, you just gotta take yer time and not get in a rush.

Ima little worried about the starter fluid although it seems to run strong as a mule. and Cvans, yer right, every time I start it, it makes me smile. That 3cyl 'lope' (til it warms up) is rather unique. Ive got a couple (or so) hours work to do on it before it gets too cold. It starts a little slower in the winter.

I need to learn the brakes, Id like to re-work the wiring (gotta 'jiggle' the key to find the start), and maybe look at the steering box. Id also like to tear down the air filter and figure it out. Ive always wondered if an aftermarket type screw on oil filter (auto type Fram or something) adapter kit is available.

When I got it, the fella said it only ran on a certain almost home brewed rearend oil, sold locally by a certain company in Augusta. So Ive been getting it from there, seems its like rearend weight oil mixed with a little diesel fuel ? Anybody ??

Anyway, I guess this site has recalled a lot of the questions I have had over the years and I cant wait to tinker around. Its finally cooling off a little too.

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

I put a spin on oil filter on mine. You can get a kit for about 30 bucks. Check out Ebay or Fix That Ford.
Makes changing oil filter a lot less messy and no problems with leaks.
Transmission and rear use just plain old SAE HD30 oil.
Wiring is very simple and easy to replace. Schematics are available.
Beware of the either! I learned the hard way. Cost me two pistons.
Heater plugs are readily available. If yours doesn't work, I highly recommend getting one and avoid the starting fluid at all costs.
You'll find that this tractor is easy to maintain and repair.
Bill

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

Bill, early on, the heater plug did function and ether was not required on cold start-up. Somehow (my memory fades sometimes !), and sometime, I developed a wiring problem 'under the dash' and the heater button stopped working. Thus, the dreaded ether was used, only a really short burst for a long while but it has increased a little lately after an extended lay-off of tractor use. I must find the wiring diagram, I may need some direction to look for these items you mention.

Thanks

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

burrII,
Go to the topics page and click on Stefans Workshop Manual Link .(the very first topic)
The wiring diagram is in the electrical section near the end.
It's pretty straight forward and easy to follow

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

yeah bill, I've been trying to download all that info but about midway thru , it starts lockin up and freezing to where Ive gotta do the 'controlaltdelete' thing. not successful so far.

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

If you decide to install the spin on oil filter kit, check before hand if it comes with the shorter bolts needed for install. If not you will need fine thread 3.5 inch long bolts. In the case of the pre-heater, I found my switch bad, and after pulling it apart discovered that the switch has some pretty frail contacts inside. I mounted a starter switch from Advance Auto for 5 bucks and it works well. You should see your dash lights dim just a little when you hit the preheat button. This tells you that the heating element is drawing current and getting hot like its supposed to. I mounted the switch in the same location as the old one, and with the rubber cover over it, you cant tell its been modified.....

Dave.
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

I have decided to sell my Superdexta; just dont have the time space or $$ for a decent and deserved re-build on this very strong and dependable unit that I purchased in 1995. Barn kept until this past summer when I purchased another replacement. It has been covered with a couple tarps and yesterday I cranked it first time in a while (6 months) and she sat and idled like it had been only a day. I did not drive; it hadda front left tire down. 3 pt and pto performed fine.

I am offering this tractor to one of you all that enjoys working on and re-building tractors of this type. I have viewed numerous projects on this forum with this same super and I'm amazed at the work done. Photos and history of my ownership is this thread, some kinda local folks have replied and contributed so I am pretty sure the interest is here.

$1,000 US

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Sorry to hear you're selling her. Looks like a straight original tractor. BTW she's a standard Dexta not a Super, unless the nose cone has been changed. Good luck with the sale - someone will get a good one! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!