Brazing Rods

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Phil C
Not Quite Blue Yet

Brazing Rods

Post by Phil C »

Hi All
Does anybody know a good brazing/silver solder rod suitable for stainless steel to mild steel or cast, I want to braze a bush into an elongated hole on the clutch pedal where the clevis pin goes in. I've found a piece of stainless tube which is just the right size.
If this is a no go, has anybody had experiance of welding on the clutch pedal, it looks cast and I know that can be tricky to weld sometimes. :?

Cheers Phil

super6954
True Blue

Re: Brazing Rods

Post by super6954 »

Hi
When I built my tractor puller I welded a stainless exhaust elbow to a steel flange with a mig. That was in 1996 and it's still on.
I have welded cast and steel together with the mig too as long as the casts not complete rubbish :cry: , it may be fiddly with tube, I'm not sure on how long it will last but might be worth a try on a scrap part if you have one and see what happens :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Phil
Theres cast steel and cast iron. Cast steel should be ok to weld with a mig or arc, (depending on the properties)
I seem to remember theres a way to tell if it's cast steel or cast iron. When you grind it with a grinder, the colour of the sparks should tell you what it is. Can't remember what the colours are at the moment though. Possibly also the 'ring' it makes when hit with a hammer.
If the hole is elongated, why are'nt you drilling it oversize, and bushing it back to original.
Dont forget, :needpics:
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Phil C
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Phil C »

I'll try like you say with some scrap parts Robert.

Kev would you know, is the clutch pedal cast steel or cast iron. I vaguely remember something about cast iron having different sparks. The tube I was thinking of brazing in would be a bush, I don't fancy drilling out any further as the oridgial piece would be getting very thin by the time it was drilled out to make a good fit.

Does anybody else know if the clutch pedal is cast steel or cast iron? :scratchhead:

Thanks for the help guys

Phil

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

It is definately cast steel, no problem to weld or heat up and bend or whatever you want to do with it :buddies:
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi