Oil leak crankshaft

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil leak crankshaft

Post by Cores »

Hello,

Now that I successfully replaced my halfshaft seals and brake linings, I want to deal with another problem I noticed on my recently acquired dexta: It's got a leaky oil seal on the crankshaft (a few drops over night). Too bad it's the clutch side...
The fact is that I do not know what kind of oil spec was used to top up the engine. I know how important it is to add the correct "classic" type of oil, and I was wondering if this leaky cord seal is likely to dry up if I replace the current oil with the right spec? Or is that just wishfull thinking...? Experience anyone...?

Thanks!!

ol'Blue
True Blue

Re: Oil leak crankshaft

Post by ol'Blue »

My 64 super Dex does the same thing... couple drips out of both ends over night....Come to think of it..... I guess I am no different....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its on my list also.....

dave
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

If the leakage is only a few drops overnight I would leave well alone.

When I rebuilt my engine I took great care over the refitting of the rear rope crankshaft seal, following the workshop manual to the letter and there is still a stream of oil leaking from the bell housing when the tractor is stationary!

I am reluctant to split the tractor to examine the seal as I cannot justify the time and effort involved when the tractor is only used for road runs.

The front crankshaft oil seal is probably leaking due to a groove being worn on the pulley in way of the seal!

Gerald

Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cores »

Ok thanks,
I think I'll just wait and see then. If the new oil has any positive effect, I will share it...

Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cores »

Hello,

It's been a while, but I found something very interesting to replace the rope seals of the crankshaft, apparently there's a kit available with a regular rubber lip-type seal. Anyone ever tried this? The kit contains a flexible rubber part that needs to be heated in hot water and then pulled over the crankshaft flange. After that, two spring rings (like in regular lip seals) need to be applied and at last two aluminium half-circular parts are bolted over the rubber seal. Anyone ever tried this?

https://www.silverfoxtractorspares.com/ ... 7459-p.asp