Dexta Stop & Tacho Cables

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta Stop & Tacho Cables

Post by Bensdexta »

The Dexta Stop Cable I bought for my dexta is way to long and has far to much friction - so not safe. I'm guessing it's for a Major.

How long should a Dexta Stop Cable be?

Is it necessary to buy a Major Stop Cable, and shorten it for the Dexta? Note it has a crimped-on terminal on the outer, which would be lost if it were shortened.

TIA
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
True Blue

Re: Dexta Stop Cable

Post by Nick »

Hi ben, I had the same problem, all I did was shorten it back and put a small wire rope terminal over it to keep it tight. Seems to work ok, although I do wish companies who manufacture these things would make them so they actually fit!!
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Les,

Thanks for the links. It is my Stop Cable that is too long, so it looks like I just have to shorten it and hope it clamps up OK.

However, as it happens my tacho cable doesn't engage in the back of the fuel pump, not sure why? But perhaps a subject for another thread!
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Ben,
Had the same problem with my tach cable. Installed it and it didn't work. Thought the fitting was missing off of the pump. Stuck a small phillips head screw driver in the back of the pump very gently while it was running and it spun in my fingers. Found out that you can install the cable into the pump and miss the fitting. Fiddled with it a little bit and it went in and works fine.
Bill

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Bensdexta wrote:
Les,

Thanks for the links. It is my Stop Cable that is too long, so it looks like I just have to shorten it and hope it clamps up OK.

However, as it happens my tacho cable doesn't engage in the back of the fuel pump, not sure why? But perhaps a subject for another thread!

:oops: oh boy! :oops:

Sorry about that!! :oops:

Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:Hi ben, I had the same problem, all I did was shorten it back and put a small wire rope terminal over it to keep it tight. Seems to work ok, although I do wish companies who manufacture these things would make them so they actually fit!!
Shortened mine quite a bit - by best part of a metre. Works much better now it's short with no loops in it. It seems all 'Dexta' stop cables are too long. :wink:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Tacho Cable

Post by Bensdexta »

PghBill wrote: Had the same problem with my tach cable. Installed it and it didn't work. Thought the fitting was missing off of the pump. Stuck a small phillips head screw driver in the back of the pump very gently while it was running and it spun in my fingers. Found out that you can install the cable into the pump and miss the fitting. Fiddled with it a little bit and it went in and works fine.
Bill, Many thanks for encouraging me to persevere.

I dug out my original tacho cable (I try never to throw old stuff away till the new stuff is working) and it seems to engage fine in the back of the pump - just need to hook it up to the tacho and hopefully it will work.

Suspect that my new tacho cable is too short to engage in the back of the pump.
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Tacho Cable

Post by Bensdexta »

Bensdexta wrote:I dug out my original tacho cable (I try never to throw old stuff away till the new stuff is working) and it seems to engage fine in the back of the pump - just need to hook it up to the tacho and hopefully it will work. Suspect that my new tacho cable is too short to engage in the back of the pump.
See comparison of original (left) & repro cable at the tacho end - not much difference.

Except that original core has a small red fibre washer (top) but this is omitted in the repro cable.

But see repro cable & original at fuel pump end - repro core only projects 3/8" but original projects 1.1/8". So not surprising that repro doesn't engage properly in the back of the pump.

So I've refitted my original cable and the repro one will be going back to a southern supplier.
Anyone else had this promblem?