Front Wheel Weight Bolts

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Front Wheel Weight Bolts

Post by Bensdexta »

I have bought some front wheels weights for my Dexta.

What bolts should be used to hold them to the wheels? Are they just suitably sized 'Coach Bolts', with the square heads?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Re: Front Wheel Weight Bolts

Post by Chris Ivin »

I would suggest getting some decent high tensile bolts with Nyloc nuts. You don't want them coming loose on the road.

I have a set of weights for mine but have found that they make the steering vibrate more when on the road, so I take them off when not required.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Chris,
Thanks for the tip.
Have you a photo of your set up? :wink:

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Ben,

Not at the moment I'm afraid, they are currently stuck under the bench somewhere.

Mine are half shaped weights rather than the full circular weights which were made for the Dexta, I think mine were made for the smaller 000 series machines. They are fixed by two bolts each using the same fixing holes in the wheel rims as for older full size weights.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Chris Ivin wrote:Mine are half shaped weights rather than the full circular weights which were made for the Dexta, I think mine were made for the smaller 000 series machines. They are fixed by two bolts each using the same fixing holes in the wheel rims as for older full size weights.
Same as mine! I wonder if the full sized ones are any better balanced?

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I would guess that the full round weights would be more stable. The only downside is having to take the wheel off to fit them.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Jstaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jstaley »

Does anyone know where I can get the original style square headed bolts for these? They are exactly the same as a normal bolt, just have a square head instead of a hexagonal one.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jstaley wrote:Does anyone know where I can get the original style square headed bolts for these? They are exactly the same as a normal bolt, just have a square head instead of a hexagonal one.
Are they not a 'coach bolt'? If so they should be widely available. :wink:

Jstaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jstaley »

Bensdexta wrote:
Jstaley wrote:Does anyone know where I can get the original style square headed bolts for these? They are exactly the same as a normal bolt, just have a square head instead of a hexagonal one.
Are they not a 'coach bolt'? If so they should be widely available. :wink:

No, they are what I described as above. Coach bolts are domed.

Jstaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jstaley »

Like this:

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

My original front wheels have four square holes 1/2" side, for the wheel weight bolts.

Surely bolts must have square shoulders not square heads, hence my suggestion of a coach bolt.

Alternatively, forget the square holes and just fit a regular 1/2" dia hex bolt?

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

I have come across some front wheel weights. Pros and cons of fitting them???

This thread mentions road speed balance issues, not likely to be a problem for me.
I presume the main aim is to help hold the nose down on hilly ground, but is this at the expense of significantly heavier steering?
Interestingly of the hundreds of images online of dextas I have looked through (there's thousands out there), only three (so far) show front wheel weights - two of these on ploughing tractors.

I think I have finished all the topping for the year, so time now to fit those two new axle extensions (freshly kingpinned, bushed & bearinged).
[Bareco kingpins were larger than factory spec. Reamed bushes to match OK, but lever arms awfully tight. At least I will now have left and right (and not two right hand kingpins)].
:beer:

kiwimc

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

My much travelled Ford front wheel weights fitted to Nuffy. They left the factory and were exported to Japan where they laid in the dealers for many years until they were returned to England in a consignment of tractors to Atkin Farm Machinery at Dereham. I had them dropped in my yard by Charles, came home one night and there was a complete set. :D A whole load of front weights and rear weights for Majors and '000 series went into the scrap bin before I could get hold of any more.

They make no difference to the steering and are not as heavy to steer as when weights are added to the front end.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Thanks for the reply Brian. Turns out the weights I have come across were off a major, so presumably the 7.50 x 16 inch rims. Any idea if they are different (bigger?).
A whole load of front weights and rear weights for Majors and '000 series went into the scrap bin before I could get hold of any more.
- I am a bit confused what you mean here?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A whole two boxes of weights and two pallets came back from Japan,for tractors from 1952 to 1980 including rear weights, front slab weights and front wheel weights. I got my front weights but before I could get any others they went to the scrap man.

The front weights fit 16" wheels and the same wheels were used on some Majors, 7.50x16, some Dextas 6.00x16. The same wheels were used on M-F and,as you see, Nuffields. NP Supers could also have 6.00x19.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian