New User (old reader)

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Tor
Not Quite Blue Yet

New User (old reader)

Post by Tor »

Hello everybody.

As a new user I would like to let you know who I am and what my projects are:
I grew up on a farm where my father had a -64 NP Super Dexta, the very same tractor where I learned how to drive long before legal age. She was traded in for more modern equipment in the eighties but I never forgot that blue and grey beauty. So a few years ago I purchased my very own Super Dexta – also a -64 NP. She was in a sad state: the fluids drained faster than you could pour them in but the engine was running good and all other seemed to be in good order. My intention was at first to get her in good mechanical shape and leave the cosmetics; I abandoned that plan about three days later and ended up with a complete restoration of paint and bodywork as well :-) So current status of the project is now that all oil seals and water hoses have been replaced, new clutch disks installed. Whole body stripped and painted, the only outstanding issues are bonnet, frontcowl and mudguards to be stripped, painted and reinstalled.
Just after I bought the first tractor another Super Dexta owner called me as he had heard I was interested in these tractors, he had a -63 Super Dexta that was difficult to start and wondered if I would buy it, I thought it would be nice to have another one to break for parts as it had new tires all around and also a brand new starter. I went off to have a look at it in a quite remote place in the middle of a forest. The lady was hidden behind a shed that was more or less ready to fall over. The previous owner had installed a home made cabin and an oversized loader that made her look a bit out of shape but underneath the rusted steel there was definitely a Super Dexta. The deal was closed for about 900 Euros and I realised I hade made a bargain – the reason why she was difficult to start was that the timing was slightly off – 15 minutes in my workshop at home and she starts perfectly. She was in good shape, the only thing was some dents and bruises in the tinwork but for the rest she was in good working order. So well at home I did not have the heart to break her – instead I buy new parts for my -64 ;-)
The -63 have now for the last few years done its bit of work pulling trailers and also some work in the fields. But yesterday when I was running her in the fields it seemed like the governor is not working properly: When the throttle is released for shifting gears the rpm’s drops so low that she wants to stop, and also the other way when I increase the rpm’s I don’t get a response until I push the throttle to about ¾. Similar happens when I run from the flats to an uphill – it takes a bit of time before I get any response. Short summary: it appears to be a bit of lag in the governor. I read in a previous post that when running for longer periods the injection pump could be overfilled with diesel leaking into the governor housing and slowing the operation of this. So during the weekend I will drain the injection pump and refill with right quantity of oil to see if this helps – Any thoughts?
Finally I would like to thank everybody keeping this forum up and running, I have been reading with great enthusiasm for several years.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board Tor. What a great post.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian