my grandas old dexta & machinery from a bygone age..

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

my grandas old dexta & machinery from a bygone age..

Post by gjsteed »

hi all,im new to this forum and im very happy to be part of things...its time to get this old girl up and running again,it was my late grandfathers who has been dead a long time now,the tractor its self has been in a shed for at least 15 years,never turning a wheel,myself and my brother pulled her out the other day ,pumped a few tyres up(which are flat again lol) and out she rolled all four wheels free,i spent a good hour dusting her down,to reveal a not to bad a shape wee tractor,mainly surface rust..she has a "mill master lifter" fitted up front,now from what i have been told she originally came from the road service in scotland in the late 50s and my grandfather bought her in a auction in belfast in the mid 60s...what to you guys think ?? also any tips on getting her started again ie steps to turning her over ,what to change ,oil water etc etc many thanks
Last edited by gjsteed on Fri May 31, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vulgunx
True Blue

Re: my grandas old dexta..

Post by Vulgunx »

Really if she has been stood for 15years the 1st things i would do it drain the engine oil so you have new oil, get new oil/fuel filters, replace the gearbox oil (only if milky). Drain the water and fill it up to the brim with anti freeze so you know how strong is it since the weather is harsh, Have you tried starting her? does she turn over or is it seized solid?? some more info would be nice
Thanks - Brad
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

If the engine is free,I'd drain the old fuel and change the filter. Change the oil & filter, check the radiator and oil level in the gearbox and give her a go. Worry about changing the gear box oil if she fires up.(Holds lots of oil ) What ever you do, try to avoid using starting fluid!(either) Cost me 2 pistons when I first got mine and got her going.
When you open the Fordson Tractor Pages site, you will see a blue bar across the top of the page with Home-Bulletin Board -Wiki- etc. Run your cursor over The Dexta. A drop down menu will appear. Run your cursor over Dexta. Another drop down menu will appear. Go to Dexta Owners Manual, then part 2, Starting the Engine. Should help you out.
Hope she fires up for you ! :D
Bill

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks a nice original tractor.

Should tidy up nicely.

Check out her engine & chassis nos and the casting codes to determine her age. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

thanks all for your replys,il get some oil and filters sorted this week,what type of oil suits her ?
il also get the numbers of the chassis and try to sort out her age,may even post a few more pics for you all ..

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

gjsteed wrote:thanks all for your replys,il get some oil and filters sorted this week,what type of oil suits her ?
See here:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=1012
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=1&t=4418

I am using Morris of Shrewsbury's range of Golden Film Lubricants, SAE 20/50W

Engine, gearbox & back axle all use 'engine oil'. Although mqnual says engine oil in the steering box, gear oil (eg EP90) would be better.

You'll need a total of 42L - not cheap! :wink:

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

a few more pics for you all...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks like a Super in the background - two Dextas, lucky boy :D

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

WOW if i was you i would replace all the electronic items new wiring loom then leave it as is because that is one original tractor lovely tractor :beer: enjoy it :)
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

The super dexta in the background still runs fine although she maybe could do with a new tank soon ,she's leaking a wee taste of diesel. I'd like to just keep the older dexta the way she is , I know everyone has there own idea about restoring tractors , but I feel she has real character and charm the way she is, she may not win any shows but in my mind she's a winner everyday!

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

Nice! Would like to have one like this in any time 8) Especially Dexta with front loader would be nice.
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

gjsteed wrote:The super dexta in the background still runs fine although she maybe could do with a new tank soon ,she's leaking a wee taste of diesel.
You can probably repair your old tank quite easily
see here:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 203#p24203

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

What a beautiful original wee tractor! Is she still in Norn Iron? I'd echo what the guys here have said, drain fuel and oil, replace filters etc and give it a go. I wouldnt worry too much about gearbox oil but I'd take all preventative measures I.e check levels etc before attempting to start her. Bertie Dunlop in Ballymena has any part you could ever want. Enjoy!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

I would remove the air cleaner mushroom and have something ready to drop over the air intake just incase it takes off. lid off a glass jar works well. might save the engine over reving and prevent an expensive repair.
Regards,
John

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

Wee59dexta wrote:What a beautiful original wee tractor! Is she still in Norn Iron? I'd echo what the guys here have said, drain fuel and oil, replace filters etc and give it a go. I wouldnt worry too much about gearbox oil but I'd take all preventative measures I.e check levels etc before attempting to start her. Bertie Dunlop in Ballymena has any part you could ever want. Enjoy!
yes wee5 dexta shes stillhere in northern ireland...my original post stating where my granda got her from is wrong ,she was actually bought new from kennedys in ballymena back in 58/59(so she has been in our family ever since) according to my mum,it was the other super dexta that my granda bought in an aution in belfast..
my bro and i got her running today,wee give her a fresh battery,oil and filter, coolant was fine,apparently my father changed it a while back after a failed attempt to get her going,the clutch was a bit stuck on her but soon let go after a few rocks back and forth.Dad reckons there may be a faulth with the governer weights as she tends to rev up and down a bit ..heres a short video for you all..
Last edited by gjsteed on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

oh one other thing ,the red and green lights on the dash could someone maybe explain their function to me..the green one wont come on at all,maybe a bulb blown ? and the red one stays on then once the key is turn one notch goes out.. :scratchhead:

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT
This is the green light on the right of the instrument panel and it is illuminated when the main control key is switched on. The light should go out when the engine is running above idling speed, and if the light does not go out the engine should be stopped immediately and the cause investigated.
GENERATOR CHARGING LIGHT
This is the red light on the left hand side of the instrument panel. It will light up when the key is switched on and will normally remain on while the engine is stationary or running at a low idling speed. When the engine speed is increased above idling, the light should go out, indicating that the generator is charging the battery correctly.
Gllad to see you got her fired up ! :clap:

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Dad reckons there may be a faulth with the governer weights as she tends to rev up and down a bit ..heres a short video for you all..
This pump has a vakuum governed regulator and it's normal with unstabil revs at lov speed
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

The Red and Green lights were the only change I made on my Dexta. My oil light is now Red as in stop this thing right now. The generator light is now green. My other tractors have a red warning lights for the oil pressure and I wanted this one the same. :wink:
Last edited by Cvans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

would be worth removing the rear of the fuel pump and check the diaphram and clean the housing. could help reduce the engine hunting.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Cvans wrote:The Red and Green lights was the only change I made on my Dexta. My oil light is now Red as in stop this thing right now. The generator light is now green. My other tractors have a red warning lights for the oil pressure and I wanted this one the same. :wink:
Makes sense - if not original! :wink:

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

I was contemplating maybe taking this old girl to one of my local vintage/tractor rally's , either Shane's castle or Ballymena in her original condition (as she is now), what do you guys think ?? Maybe I would be laughed out of the ring but she's purring like a kitty now (maybe hunting a bit when cold but not that bad)and I guess I'd like to show her off here in Northern Ireland ????? :lol:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

gjsteed wrote:I was contemplating maybe taking this old girl to one of my local vintage/tractor rally's , either Shane's castle or Ballymena in her original condition (as she is now), what do you guys think ??
Go for it - nothing wrong with an original tractor.

Spray some wax on her if the rust offends you. :wink:

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

you will probs find there is more interest in an original tractor than a restored one at a show.
Regards,
John

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

i thought id post a pic of the old fuel filter that i removed the other day ,it was in bad shape lol,it mustnt have been changed in 30 years ,it was full of gunk and water how we even managed to get her started after bringing her out of the shed is beyond me,but shes now going a lot better and maybe its just me but i dont think she is hunting as bad now as before ! mmmmmmmm strange
what do you think ??
and then i thought id have a nosey at the diaphragm..a bit dirty but not to bad i thought..
Last edited by gjsteed on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.