Setting up Remote Hydraulics for Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Setting up Remote Hydraulics for Super Dexta

Post by Rocketsled »

Hey guys. Just picked up a 1963 Super Dexta and am new to the forum. Looks like lots of great info here but I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for in my searches. My Dexta came without a selector valve for the hydraulics. There is only the block off plate so I need to purchase and install the proper valve setup. It is my understanding that a lot of different valve combos would work. I am planning on powering a Hesston 1071 Mower/Conditioner and a small square twine baler like New Holland 320 with a thrower/kicker. The mower has a hydraulic cylinder to raise/lower header. The manual says this was optional and you could get single action or double action. I assume because there are two hoses coming from the cylinder, one on top and one on bottom that it is double acting. So it seems I need at least a single spool double acting valve such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150565417410?ss ... 1438.l2649
Am I correct in thinking that this will meet my needs and allow me to control the remote cylinder independently of the 3-point? It is a bit much to spend but not that much more than just the selector valve and associated plumbing required. And I think it will keep the two systems working independently of each other...not either or. Thanks for any suggestions and or links you may have for me.

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Setting up Remote Hydraulics for Super Dexta

Post by Rocketsled »

Wow, over 30 views and not a single response? :scratchhead: C'mon guys...this can't be a new idea. Someone has to have some insight on this subject.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hey Rocketsled,

Welcome and congratulations on your Super Dexta!

I think, the Dextas and Majors had their own DAR (double acting remote) and although valves from other models will bolt right on, the porting is slightly different so they do not work properly.

Would be most happy to hear differently though!

Long ago, on the old forum, someone was suggesting routing out a hard plastic wafer to get the oil to the right ports.

Cheers,
Les

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

Thanks Les,
I found this which pops up under super dexta.
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/HV403 ... _10622.htm
It seems like a similar one to the one I refer to in the first post.
I was under the impression these valves are interchangeable between the Dexta's and Ford 2000's.
Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

Ford makes an aluminum plate you can put under your block-off plate or normal valve, then run lines to separate valve. Plate cost about $68, and almost anytime, you can find one on eBay in US. not as clean as the factory Ford tractor remotes, but works.

I have one on one of my Super Dextas, and it has been trouble free, except, hold the lever down with nothing in remote, and all your hydraulics won't work, till you relieve that pressure. It gets my wife every time. She'll touch it, and the lift won't work. Touch the remote handle the other way, and all is work, and all is well. She'll say, I knew that...

Wayne
Virginia, USA
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

Thanks for the reply Wayne. Is one of these listings for the plate you are referring to?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/hydraulic-adapt ... 4ac56b20e2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-HV5902-EXT ... 20cf7221fb

Did you notice that it looks exactly like the adapter plate included in the Valve Kit I pasted in my first post? Assuming it is the same plate, would you agree the rest of the Kit will do what I need? Really want to pull the trigger on this but not waste my time or money.

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

Yes,
I have one Super Dexta, with that plate under my normal top with pull valve for single acting cylinder.
Hooked lines from aluminum block to Stand-alone valve, mounted to bracket so that handle sticks up just behind right lift control. Remote connecters are hooked to bracket behind my captains seat.

Very useful. I have a 5 ton dump trailer I pull with her and it dumps it well. I also have a hydraulic toplink that is very useful with a box blade or cultivator.

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

Sweet! Thanks again Wayne, that's what I wanted to hear. Like the location you chose to put the valve. I will order up a kit and install it. I'm taking picks of the process so others can see the outcome and possibly take same route if they choose. Cheers! :beer:

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

Well after sorting out A LOT of other issues first, I finally got around to installing the Remote Hydraulic Kit yesterday. Once completed I hooked it up to my Hesston 1071 Mower/Conditioner which has a two way cylinder for the head. The good news is that the new valve works GREAT! The bad news is that I now lost my 3 point hydraulics. I know they worked before installing the new adapter plate. I suspect that I need the top plate that most Dextas have. The one with the little knob you pull out to divert the flow like this:
http://www.fixthatford.com/index.php?ma ... ts_id=1020
My Dexta came with just the blank block off plate. Was hoping it would work like that but became suspicious when I realized the new bolts supplied with the kit were to long. Had to use some big nuts as spacers to make it work.
Going to order the diverter valve today because I am pretty confident this is my issue but would love to hear other opinions. Here are some pics so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about.
[img][img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/9565987353_c02c2999a5.jpg[/img]
IMAG2502 by oursweetwaterfarm, on Flickr[/img]
[img][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/9565987343_25a3428d24.jpg[/img]
IMAG2503 by oursweetwaterfarm, on Flickr[/img]
[img][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/9568782166_2f7776e35f.jpg[/img]
IMAG2507 by oursweetwaterfarm, on Flickr[/img]
[img][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/9568782462_0f87675a58.jpg[/img]
IMAG2494 by oursweetwaterfarm, on Flickr[/img]
Other wise pretty happy with how the Super Dexta is turning out. It was ready for the junk yard when I got her. Paid $800 for her and have almost $2500 in parts into it. Time to cut some hay!

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

On all my tractors with remotes, if I have pressure imbalance on the remote, the 3PH doesn't work. For example, reverse the lever and neutralize pressure and 3PH works again.

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

So of course after I order the new diverter plate I go out and start the tractor and now the 3 point is working as well as the remote hydraulics. I suspect although I cleaned up the unload valve already that it is still hanging up a little bit. I hope that it will improve as I use it more. Wayne, I think you are right about the pressure differences causing some strange 3 point behavior as well. Such as not keeping a consistent height when I change throttle settings. Perhaps this will improve with use as well...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Rocketsleds pics:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

You did an awesome job of turning that 800 dollar piece into a useful beautiful tool... Well done. Did you take pics of the project from the start???
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

Thanks ol'blue! Yeah lots of pics but unfortunately still not finished yet. Realized I need new brake linings, rear axle bearings, and oil seals. You can see more if you follow our blog. Find the link through our website: www.oursweetwaterfarm.com
Enjoy!

Beauwh
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Beauwh »

Thanks for the information and the pictures. Im planning on doing the same thing, what parts or kits did you use/buy?

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

That's close to the way I have it set up on mine.

BTW- finally bought one of those hydraulic top-links. Very handy with the boxblade and a few other implements.

I have a 5 ton dump trailer, and it is quite handy to bring in a load and dump it. The only thing is my valve does not have detent like my Ford 4000 and for instance to lower it, you have to hold the handle.
With my 4000, detent the lever and drive away. It pops off detent when dump bed is down.

Nice paint, Nice tractor.

Wayne

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rocketsled »

Thanks again guys. Really is nice having these independent remotes and to have the ability to use more "modern" equipment. I am using it to run my Hesston 1071 Mower/Conditioner, an 8ft brush hog with hydraulic raise/lower, and my newest acquisition a New Holland 1010 Stackliner with hydraulic push off. Haven't used the Stackliner yet but looking forward to not having to stack bales by hand anymore. Cheers!

Oh, and here is the link to the valve kit I purchased. Very much pleased with it. Came with EVERYTHING I needed to install and very easy instructions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150565417410?ss ... 1438.l2649