Growling noise from rear end ?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Growling noise from rear end ?

Post by gjsteed »

My 59 dexta has recently developed a growling noise from the rear end when in gear , I recently changed all off the oils and now wonder is it due to this ?have I used to thick a oil? I used the same oil that the engine and transmission used , 10/40 diesel mineral oil.Ive checked the level with the arms up and both rams of the front loader fully extended .The noise is only audible when in gear and goes away when the clutch pedal is down .. Could it be some bearing maybe or maybe the diff has had it's day , there's only 4500 hours on the wee tractor and I really do hope it's not terminal :( .. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
ps apart from this the tractor starts ,engages gear all fine , hydraulics are all spot on and lifts real well with plenty of punch..

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Growling noise from rear end ?

Post by Brian »

If the noise goes away when you put the clutch down the noise could be in the gearbox, most likely a bearing that is only noisy when under load. Try selecting different gears and see if it goes away or changes.

There are really only six bearings in the rear axle, two on the pinion and two on either side half shaft/dif. support and these are low speed ones so I would not think this is where your problem is. They would also not be turning or under load if the tractor was not driving forward.

I would suspect one of the bearings at the back of the gearbox possibly on the range gears but be sure that the noise is in the back end as noise travels. :D

Your oil choice will be fine.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:If the noise goes away when you put the clutch down the noise could be in the gearbox, most likely a bearing that is only noisy when under load. Try selecting different gears and see if it goes away or changes.

There are really only six bearings in the rear axle, two on the pinion and two on either side half shaft/dif. support and these are low speed ones so I would not think this is where your problem is. They would also not be turning or under load if the tractor was not driving forward.

I would suspect one of the bearings at the back of the gearbox possibly on the range gears but be sure that the noise is in the back end as noise travels. :D

Your oil choice will be fine.
Is it correct that later Dextas/Super Dexta(?) have stronger gearbox bearings? I seem to remember Stefan fitted Super Dexta bearings to hs Dexta.

Was there an official Fordson upgrade for this and how difficult is it to install?

TIA :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

i have a growling noise as well i can hear it when driving around and when on tick over out of gear, oil level ok in rear just wondering if its the PTO bearing (but as i type i now think not PTO as it is not rotating when disengaged ) so any idea will be welcome, i did think it was the brakes as they are no existent but that would stop when not moving.

You can hear it very clear when putting the topper on and you have your head next to the top link putting the pto on

thanks
spike