What is this for?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Cvans
True Blue

What is this for?

Post by Cvans »

I've looked in the owners manual and can find no reference to this. Runs between the 3 point control and the hydraulic control on top of the transmission.
Any ideas what it is for?
Chris

PghBill
True Blue

Re: What is this for?

Post by PghBill »

It's the hydraulic flow restrictor. Controls the up/down speed of your 3 pt. As you move the lift control up and down it also operates the flow restrictor. The more you move the control lever in the Quadrant the faster you lift operates.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense but the only time the lift control hits the linkage to the flow control is when the handle is all the way up. :scratchhead:
Whats the knob do? Would have been nice if they would have explained it with a diagram in the owners manual. I have the manual that came with
the tractor when it was new. Maybe I should look at it again now that I know what it's function is.
Chris

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

The knob is ment to adjust the speed of lifting. So when you keep the plough or similar in the ground you can adjust how quick the3pl responce to corrections. When you want to lift it out of the ground you pull the handle right to the top wich will move the linkage and then you lift with maximum speed. Hope this is clear with my kind of english.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Your English is very good. It's my simple mind that gets in the way.
Thanks for your reply and I think I have a good idea of how it works now. Just going to go out see how it works.
Chris

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
the black knurled knob should screw in and out , like a bolt , as it screws the arm rotated , if u understand me :lol:
the coil spring on the quadrant end pulls it back to slow .
very useful if its all working , or just leave it in fast .
screwed in is fast , there should be a F and S cast in the cover .
:) :)
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thank you all for the help. I haven't had time to play with it yet but I will give it a try. :D
Chris

Beauwh
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Beauwh »

What is the round silver knob also?

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Hi

The round silver knob (should be black) is the Auxiliary Service Control. Push it in for the hydraulic arms to operate. Pull it out and the ram cylinder circuit will be isolated and the hydraulic pump will deliver oil to the external services, usually a trailer tipping pipe, or to power an external remote hydraulic cylinder. Sometimes they become seized through lack of use and the (bakelite?) knob is usually butchered in an attempt to free it off; Hence the metal one I presume. Unless someone knows different..........

Tim E

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

When I purchased the tractor the knob was missing so I machined one out of aluminum. Not original but it works.
Sorry it took so long to reply but my other computer died and I'm just finding my way back to some of the forums.
Chris

Beauwh
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Beauwh »

Is that a hydraulic line coming out of the plate in the picture? If so is there a return line somewhere. My super dexta has the same top plate as yours with the flow restriction knob. Im wanting to add a hydraulic remote to it so i can pull a haybine. It doesnt matter if it is paired with the 3pt lift or independent. Im trying to figure out what i need to do to get this done.
thanks

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

there is no return line just remove the oil filler nut on back axel
an get some sort of adaptor to screw in to
to take a return :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

tom lad wrote:hi
the black knurled knob should screw in and out , like a bolt , as it screws the arm rotated , if u understand me :lol:
the coil spring on the quadrant end pulls it back to slow .
very useful if its all working , or just leave it in fast .
screwed in is fast , there should be a F and S cast in the cover .
:) :)
Doesn't have any effect when hydraulics are in Position mode, does it?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, it controls any oil flow in the system whether it be taken from the lift via the ASC or used to operate Draft or Position control. We used to use the flow control to control the speed of the hydraulic motor on Tasker Spreaders.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kipperwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kipperwood »

Hi I'm new to this forum but thanks to some excellent posts I have just repaired my hydraulic lift. My Dexta has the control knob on it but not the linkage. As I will not be needing it for anything more than paddock care, I will leave it set to fast. Before I set it up I downloaded a clip of it working to YouTube, if you type in the following you might be able to find it " fordson dexta flow control hydraulic lift" . The problem with the lift was the stuck un-load valve. Thanks