Transmission output shaft

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
WayneB
True Blue

Transmission output shaft

Post by WayneB »

My tractor is a 1959 Dexta with live PTO. When I pulled the transmission to replace it (excessive wear & Bearing failure), there is differences to the old and new transmission. The new replacement transmission is from a 1960 Dexta, with live PTO. First the output shaft is different. My coupler shaft will not fit the newer transmission. Also, the newer transmssion does not have the drive gears for the hydraulic pump. Can I swap the parts from my old transmission?

The images are from Steffans website. I have not torn my transmissions apart.

Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

WayneB
True Blue

Re: Transmission output shaft

Post by WayneB »

Looking at Steffan's site, swapping the hydraulic gears looks do-able.

Not so sure about the main output shaft. What is the part number for the new connecter shaft coupler? The one for a super dexta 960E-4605 is not available from FHN. Is there a source?
Second question: If I have a super dexta coupler, will it work?
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

Posted also on YTMAG, and guy there said the swap is doable.
My Dexta parts book has a page with replacement shafts and it mentions driven gears. Seems if main shafts have differnet gear counts so will the driven cluster shaft gears. Said to use a Super Dexta coupler shaft, I would need to replace the pinion. This 60' tranny is tight and I'd rather not mess it up
I have a complete Super Dexta parts tractor, and I am tempted to replace the entire rear end. My hydraulic top cover on the 59 has worn linkages, and that will need rebuilt, plus the brakes, bearing and seals need replaced. Its easier to repair a super dexta axle shaft, plus the parts tractor has differential lock.
I am not a purist, and this tractor will never be in a show.

comments?

Wayne

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

Case closed:
I will swap out the entire rear end with differential lock. I have a 100% complete parts super dexta, and were it not for the tractor belonging to my wife, and she is sentimental, but actually likes the supers better, so when it is over, the only thing that will remain a 59 is the block, which is already 152' so, I can change the flywheel, injector pump, radiator and a few other goodies and it will now be a 62'.

Plus I like the paint scheme and look of the Supers.

Wayne

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

WayneB wrote:Case closed:
I will swap out the entire rear end with differential lock. I have a 100% complete parts super dexta, and were it not for the tractor belonging to my wife, and she is sentimental, but actually likes the supers better, so when it is over, the only thing that will remain a 59 is the block, which is already 152' so, I can change the flywheel, injector pump, radiator and a few other goodies and it will now be a 62'.
Plus I like the paint scheme and look of the Supers.
Sounds like a plan!
Let us know how it goes! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

Well,
I explained to my wife what I will have to do. Not knowing exactly what she would say, She surprised me:
"OK, but it will still be my tractor, right? I like your Super Dexta better too. Make mine better, and it's a deal.."

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

WayneB wrote:Well, I explained to my wife what I will have to do. Not knowing exactly what she would say, She surprised me:
"OK, but it will still be my tractor, right? I like your Super Dexta better too. Make mine better, and it's a deal.."
Hope she pays well for working on her tractor! :D
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

Bensdexta,

I have an off-line topic. My family name is BURTON. Recently, I have traced my heritage from my origins in South Carolina, back to Virginia, and to England. I have names for father & mother back to the family clan in Northern Britain. I know name for two generation there in the UK back into the late 1400s. Is there a search database that I trace in the UK?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Try ancestry.com they seem pretty good.

I have managed to trace mine back to the 1600's and to Australia and Canada. Some of the Australian ones were sent on "assisted passage" to the colony. :eyes: When we go back in 2014 I hope to find some relations in the Adelaide area. In 2011 we went through the town where they set up home but did not know anything about them as I had not done the research then.

Good luck and if you come across anyone called Knock in the Ontario area they could be my relations. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

I have goodt documentation of my folks to 1530. Beyond that there are unconfirms. This was a family of landowners. Yes ancestry dot com will likely have the information, The info below from England came from House of Names dot com. Ancestry dot com works great in the states.

Thomas Burton’s father was Richard Burton, born 1595 in England and died in Henrico County, Virginia. He was married to Katherine Christian in England in 1623, Richard Burton’s father was Francis Burton, born in 1530, in New Castle, York England. He married Catherin U. in 1558 and she died in 1609 in St. Chad, Shrewsberry, Stropshire, England and so on....

Seems Richard Burton, not the actor, was one of three brothers who migrated to the colonies, one to Barbados, one to Virginia and one to Massachusetts in-around 1607 with George Burton

Burton is a name that was brought to England by the ancestors who migrated to the region after the Norman Conquest in 1066. The Burtons lived in Yorkshire, with lands at Burton Agnes, Burton Constable and Burton Pidsea. Burton -fortified town.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I find it really fascinating, we get the impression that back then there was little travelling compared to today. You tend to believe people stayed close to home and even travel to the next village was an event. Yet my ancestors moved around the Norfolk coast from village to village, across the country to Shropshire and one ancestor came from Ireland. In the 1800's some moved to Canada and Australia in fact my father was offered the chance of emigrating to Canada when he was a teenager with his cousin. Their range of skills varied from boot making, farming, mining, building, publicans and traction engine driving. :clap:

One of my ancestors died in Port Philip Bay in Australia after leaving Liverpool in a three decker ship. Conditions on board were so bad as the effluent from each deck passed through to the one below on its way to the bilge bringing with it all manner of disease. We complain about the cramped conditions in a modern long haul flight but at least we do not have to put up with that.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

WayneB
True Blue

Post by WayneB »

UPDATE. Both tractors have transmision and rear ends assembled. The parts tractor is ready to pull out of the shop fully assembled. Taking my time with the Super Dexta conversion. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the Super Dexta part tracor apart. Very clean, and clearly had not been pulled apart. The top cover had been pulled but nothing else. I swapped the PTO pawl and assembly of tranny to rear end was so easy. Compared to my Ford 4000, this job was simple and easy to do. On scale of 1-10, with ten difficulty near impossible, this jobs was a 2. Have married the engine back to the tranny, and will get her running. Dont think I will mount the fuel tank, but use a small tank to run it Will not fully assemble, will paint before assembly. Prior to that, will do axle seals & bearings and re-line brakes. Then it get washed and scrubed for painting.

It will be the paint that makes this Super Dexta better than my others for the wife.....