Little advice please. First Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Little advice please. First Dexta

Post by Dexta »

Hi all.
I finally purchased a 1961 dexta in running condition. this will be the first of many questions.
My first job i want to do is remove the old mudguards (what is left of them) and fit new ones.
What is the best way to remove the bolts from the axle?
i have also noticed on one side where there are 2 lugs (top and bottom) that the bolt goes through the top lug has partly broke off. Can this be repaired?
Will try to post some pics tomorrow.
Many thanks
Dexta

welderpaul
True Blue

Re: Little advice please. First Dexta

Post by welderpaul »

The bolts on mine were rusted solid so in the end i had to cut them off either side of the axle casting then drill out what was left. It had a roll bar that someone had welded the mudguards to to stop them from falling off!

The bottom of the mudguards is a standard place for a Dexta to rust away to nothing. They can be repaired if they are not too far gone.

I am a welder by trade so i bought a second set of originals and cut off the really bad bits from the existing ones and welded in parts from the doner mudguards. There is an 'enfo' name down there on original guards that i was careful to cut round and retain.

I am missing two lugs. The castings are a nightmare to weld. When i put them back on i am going to make up a couple of plates the same size as the pairs of lugs and use them on the bottom so the nuts have something to pull against. Even if the lugs could be welded i would bet when the nuts were tightened the lugs would snap off.

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Cheers for that.
yeah the mudguards have disintegrated, i think that is the best bet. cut off then drill out.
I can see that trying to weld cast they would just probably break off again. as its a bit of a process to weld properly.
luckily its the top lug that someone broke off before.
Thanks again

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Picture of broken lug

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

The lugs have broken on the bottom on my mudgaurds and the easiest way to remove is to get a buzzgun on the job with lots and lots of heat then take your anger out hitting the bottom of the bolts since they get fairly seized in there. Post some pictures of the dexta please :beer:
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

j.weel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by j.weel »

wow where dit jou get this one from
a swamp
houw dus the rest look

if jou cant get a bolt out jou wil have to burn it out
making it hot and force them out with a pin