Dexta Hydraulic nightmare

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ted dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta Hydraulic nightmare

Post by ted dexta »

Hi All, I'm a newbie with a problem.
As the man with spanners and a lathe in the garage a "mate" has asked me to sort out his lift mechanism after he had let a couple of gorillas loose on it. Problem started with a failed draft control link (corroded at attachment to control spring plunger). They, in their wisdom, obtained a replacement which was altogether bigger, larger yolk, larger diameter rod, slightly longer spring and with a snap ring fitting at the end. After they fitted it the lift, not surprisingly, lifted and then refused to budge. Said gorillas then exited stage left and haven't been seen since.
When I got on the scene the draft control link was jammed out of line with the control link adjusted to its shortest possible and the draft control swivel pin badly bent.
Mate and I are new to tractors and have been unable to source a replacement threaded ended draft control link.
I set to to try and work with what I had and, to cut a long story short, I have made a new draft control swivel, taken .150" off base of yolk casting where rod is welded in and shaved .060" off shoulder of swivel bush and shortened spring by .250", all with a view to shift valve control lever away from valve. It still does not seem to be enough because although I can get Qualitrol adjusted I am struggling to get position control adjusted as valve control lever still want to sit closer to control valve than seems correct. Fingers crossed we have yet to fit it to the tractor to see what happens.
My questions are as follows:
1) Can anyone explain what can or cannot be used to replace a 1960 Dexta draft control link ( we still have the original spring but it does not go over new rod)?
2)Can anyone help with sources of replacement parts new or second hand?
3)Is it possible that the gorillas have also fitted a different valve control lever, it looks right but drilling for valve link seems slightly high?
4)Can anyone reassure me that tractors are the way to go!
regards, Ted

ted dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta Hydraulic nightmare

Post by ted dexta »

Hi
Forgot to say I am located in Kent UK
Ted D

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi Ted,

As far as I know, there is no OEM part to replace draught control link. It might be worth giving Agriline a call, and also Patrick Edwards in Bampton in Oxfordshire. How about a local tractor breakers?

I nearly had a similar problem -- the plunger was rusted to the end of the link. Fortunately, a combination of heat, WD40, and gentle worrying at the articulation solved it. IMHO, this appears to be a design flaw in the Dexta Qualitrol setup -- the plunger slopes downward into the hydraulics, and I guess water tracks down alongside it.

Good luck,

Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

From what you describe it sounds like the parts are from a Dexta or Super Dexta 2/3000 not a Dexta. The 2/3000 is a different linkage system and, although the ram cylinder can be made to fit, the linkage is not compatible.

Yes Dextas do rust in that area, when I take them apart I pack the area with grease when I put them back.

A breakers would be the best way to go, a lot of them have been broken over the years and you can usually pick up parts reasonably easily. Google Malcolm Hipperson here in Downham Market, he may be able to help and is a very good honest dealer.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

ted dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ted dexta »

Thanks for the leads they sound encouraging, my Dexta knowledge grows by the day. The lift cover went off to be refitted today - we live in hope

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

are you the ted dexta who played cricket for surrey? :clap:

ted dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ted dexta »

No, my name is Ted so it seemed like a funky username (If you are aged over 50)

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

sorry ted, thought you might see it, hi surname was Dexter :beer: