Super Dexta not starting

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mathijs
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta not starting

Post by Mathijs »

Seems like this last wet winter was too much. Need some assistance as I am not sure what to do next.

When I press the starter button the first I hear a soft click from the starter motor, not the sound I recognize as from a low battery.
Charged battery (12.7 volt), Checked the thin wire to the starter motor, good contact and starter button works fine.

So I got a problem with the starter motor or the engine is totally locked up? What's the next step? Remove the starter motor?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super Dexta not starting

Post by Brian »

Check main cables, power and earth before stripping anything. Solenoid could be faulty. Starter could be jammed.

I take it that you have the new style starter with a solenoid incorporated not the original lever operated starter.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mathijs
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mathijs »

Yeahy I got this one: Image

All the connections seem to be fine. I also tried tapping the starter with a small hammer. Still nothing. Is there a way to test the solenoid?
And uhhh stupid question but chassis is neutral right?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Have you checked voltage at the solenoid terminals when pressing the starter button?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
if it has a dynamo , then probably positive earth

alternator , probably negative

the battery lead terminals are different sizes tho so this should be a guide
originally I think it would have been a dynamo , so positive earth., but mine has a alternator and its negative :buddies: :buddies:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.