Aux Hydraulics Question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Aux Hydraulics Question

Post by oor wullie »

I'm new here with a new Dexta and some (probably pretty basic) questions as I find my way around the tractor.

The Dexta I have seems to have been set up to run things from the aux hydraulics as shown in the photo. I gather I pull the black knob out to divert oil to the aux pipe (although it is jammed) but what is the small bolt immediately below right of the black knob (in the parts list as "detent")?

There is a dribble of oil leaking from the black knob so I guess there is a seal in there that needs replaced (probably the seal just behind the knob that is shown on the parts list) but I can't find anyone that stocks the exact part (the drawing that Agriline has of these parts shows a different design of cover altogether). Can I just get a selection box of o-rings and trust that one will fit or will it have to be a specific (oil resistant) one?

It seems that there have been some slightly non-standard modifications to the tractor so I want to tread carefully before taking things to bits. It took me a while to work out how to start it as there is a small auxillary fuel tank with a tiny pump which sends fuel to the inlet manifold to prime it. This is wired to the horn button (now why didn't I think of that to start with!) but it seems to work fine so I will leave it as it is for just now.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Aux Hydraulics Question

Post by Brian »

Yours is a very early Dexta probably about 1958 and these tractors just had a very basic auxiliary service plate. It is not like the later ones which incorporated a flow control. There were very few of your design, it is not shown in my original parts list so I doubt you will find an "O" ring from any Ford or after market supplier. I have found that "O" ring kits do not always have the correct ring for what you need and you might be better finding a hydraulic or seal shop who will have a wider range of rings.

I think someone has replaced the ball and spring locking device in the spool valve with the stud and lock nut. You might try slackening the stud and pulling the spool out but be careful as, if the spring and ball have been removed, there will be nothing to stop the spool pulling straight out.

The cause of your oil leak may also be due to wear on the spool itself.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oor wullie »

Thanks Brian, it is very useful to know why mine looks different from all the pictures of other peoples tractors.

The parts list on this site is dated 1959 but seems to show an aux service plate the same as mine (without a flow control knob) including a stud/locknut so was this the original way of holding the spool in place?

Searching for the part number of the O ring given in the above parts list shows that it was discontinued long ago, as you said, but a check of the parts list for the lab at work shows an O ring of the same size. I think I will spend the afternoon rummaging through the spares drawer to see if we have any spare!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Oor Wullie and welcome to a fantastic forum.
I notice from your picture that behind the Aux valve there is an Elbow and stopper fitted.
This looks like it is connected to the Valve block as another ext supply.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oor wullie »

Thanks for the welcome Jerry.

Yes, the Aux pipe goes to the back (as in the photo below) where it has a cap and it has an elbow which points forwards as you spotted.
I assume the supply to the rear was for something like a hydraulic top link (I think the previous owner used if for match ploughing) but do you have any idea what you would use the supply for that points forward?

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

The rear Hydraulic feed is single acting (Push, no pull) which means that you can use it where the return is by weight/pressure. Common uses were Tipping trailers etc where the weight pushed back the hydraulic fluid when the pressure was released.
The front feed might have provided a feed to a loader.
Double acting (Push and Pull) required a separate return feed. This was achieved by modifying the rear axle filer plug to take a hydraulic connector.

http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/oldtr ... sort=3&o=4

Hope this helps
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Beauwh
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Beauwh »

Jerry, can you post more pictures of your hydraulic setup? Im wanting to do something similar. I would like to see the whole system. (out port, and valve)

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Just a point on O rings Brian, the BS series of O rings are based around imperial sizes and they are very much still in use. While the selction boxes are handy and can get you out of trouble sometimes they are just a selection. Bearing supplies like BSL and others should be able get any one you want or possibly ebay??

here are some lists

http://www.par-group.co.uk/sealing-join ... sions.aspx

http://www.jameswalker.biz/docs/jwco/o_ ... ll_doc.pdf

Regards

Ian