Clutch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mathijs
Not Quite Blue Yet

Clutch

Post by Mathijs »

Got some problems getting into first and third gear. Some of teeth hitting teeth noises even with the clutch pedal fully depressed. Am I right to think I need to readjust the clutch release rod connection? And if so, how much would you suggest? Shorten by one turn? Two turns?

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Clutch

Post by Timeee »

Hi,

Pedal free play is the only external adjustment that can be made. Pedal free play should be 1 1/4 in. Depending on which type of clutch you have, the adjustment is made as follows: For a single plate clutch, adjust the clevis on the operating rod. For a "Live" PTO clutch, only adjust at the clutch release arm. There is an adjustable screw, whose head bears against a lug cast on the transmission housing, when the clutch pedal is released. Adjust this to achieve the required "Live"PTO pedal free movement.

Failure to disengage the clutch (leading to difficult gear engagement) may be due to other causes, such as oil on the clutch plate, causing it to "stick", or drag, which would lead to difficulty in engaging any gear, not necessarily 1st and 3rd. You may have to investigate further.......Does it still "grate" into gear, even if the clutch has been held down for a long time?

Tim E

Mathijs
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mathijs »

It does not seem to make any difference if the clutch is held for a long time or not. The low/high gear works fine, it's really only the R,1,2,3 that has the problem.

How do I know if I got a live PTO model?

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Hi,

A "live" PTO clutch will have 2 stages as you depress the pedal. The first one is for the gearbox/transmission controlling movement of the tractor, the 2nd (lower) stage, which you should feel more resistance, near the bottom of the pedal travel is for the PTO. Alternatively, look for the adjusting screw on the clutch release arm which bears against the lug cast on the transmission housing, only a "Live" PTO transmission will have that.

Tim E