Need to find chassis numbers etc off reg VAX 80

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jamie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Need to find chassis numbers etc off reg VAX 80

Post by jamie »

Hi all can any get chassis number and details for my fordson dexta off the reg plate Vax 80 need to apply for log book thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Need to find chassis numbers etc off reg VAX 80

Post by Bensdexta »

Don't think you can get chassis (tractor) or engine numbers from county council archives retrospectively.

Why not read them off your tractor - surely the correct way to get them?

How do you know that your tractor's reg is VAX 80 - have you the original buff log book? :wink: :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Jamie

AX is a Cardiff registration number.

To get a log book you first need to write to Patrick Pawsey of the Ford and Fordson Association (FFA), Upper Farm, Ovington, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 8LD, E mail; patrickpawsey@msn.com. You will need the tractor details including Serial No, Engine number and casting date code numbers for the gearbox and rear axle. You also need to provide 2 photographs of the tractor from each side, a valid insurance certificate issued against the tractor serial number, proof of your ID (photo driving licence) and a utility bill to prove your address. Once he is satisfied that the DVLA requirements have been met, he will then provide a letter for you to submit to DVLA with your application, enclosing the necessary forms (DVLA Form V55/5) and give guidance on submitting them. If you are a FFA member it will cost you £16, if not, it will cost you £26. I applied for my Dexta to Patrick in late September, got his letter back on 13 October and got my log book (V5C) from DVLA by 24 October. Oh, DVLA wanted a £55 registration fee.

Good luck Tim E

jamie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jamie »

Hi tim i rung dvla last week and gave the reg to see if on there system this vax80 is still on there file last registered in 1980 he told me to get a v62 for fill out and send to them along with 25 pound

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

jamie wrote:Hi tim i rung dvla last week and gave the reg to see if on there system this vax80 is still on there file last registered in 1980 he told me to get a v62 for fill out and send to them along with 25 pound
Last taxed in 1989, see DVLA 'vehicle enquiry' on thir website.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The DVLA can be a bit frustrating since they closed the local offices and I would second Timee's suggestion to go through the FFA or other club. Even then there have been cases of the DVLA refusing to accept their documentation. They can tell you the exact form to get and how to fill it in as there are certain questions that are not applicable.

Definitely get pictures of your tractor and the numbers to reinforce your claim otherwise you can spend weeks with letters going backward and forward.

This may help, http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... Dexta.html you may need the codes "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty".
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

If you were the registered owner when the tractor was last registered with the DVLA, (1980 or 1989) you may be lucky, in that V62 is an application to replace a lost, stolen or misplaced log book.

I usually find that the DVLA give a different answer to phone enquiries depending on the time of day. That is why the local DVLA offices are/were so good, because you could speak face to face with a person, present him/her with the facts and get a proper answer. My Poole, Dorset office doesn't close until October 2014, so I have been lucky.

Brian is spot-on with his advice and although you may be lucky filling in a V62 and sending it to DVLA, I think you could end up following the procedure I outlined above to obtain your "logbook". Bon chance! Tim E

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Because we couldn't find the logbook at the time I went through the Approved Vehicle Club route (I saw the very helpful Mr Harmer at North Walsham's Motor Cycle Museum) Had old tax discs and and the last mileage exemption doc they had sent, Club approval form duly issued.

Just before going down to the DVLA (last August) I had to SORN a car I'm using as an organ donor, used the online registration search to check it had worked and just out of idle curiosity typed in the tractor reg, an entry came up (with not much info) to my surprise.

Next day at the DVLA the lady couldn't have been more helpfull, looked at the various bits of information then picked up the screen print of the DVLA page 'whats this?' came the question, when I told her she went off to a computer terminal and came back with a different form, The 'Club stuff no longer needed) yes while not taxed it had got onto the computer somehow, so that was just a change of registration :P :P Try as she could she could not overcome the fact that having been registered to Dad, he was most inconsiderately unable to sign it over (having gone to plough elsewhere) so I had to go in the following day with a copy death cert. Also did my Series 1 80" Landy at the same time again with no Club stuff needed as also on the computer.

A couple of weeks later the V5's came back, I trotted down to the PO for me tax disk, nope Swansea had done something, it came up as a disabled vehicle (I pointed out it had no battery, tank or front wheel and I've got a bad back but that didn't seem to help) Phoned Swansea and after 2 complete drongo's spoke to someone not on a help desk, 'They must have filled it in wrong in Norwich' was his comment, take it back there or send it here for amendment. :stress: :stress:

Third visit to Norwich and 'my' victim was not there, the chap I saw was equally helpfull, took exception at the Swansea take on things and went and got the original form, you've guessed it, nothing about disabled vehicles ticked, just vintage ones :)

My experience is if its already on the database and you are not in a hurry you should be OK approaching them yourself, not needing the 'Club' stuff, I think the club 'scruntineers' may well be needed to mediate on stuff which ought to be rubber stamped within the DVLA simply because they may have found a sensible contact. Otherwise follow Brians recipe as the safest route and any vital docs - don't trust to unregistered post !

Happy hunting and remember that we live in a universe where matter and energy are finite, sadly ignorance and indifference in some government departments may be infinite

Oh and if a reg is on the database expect the DVLAKGB to send you a nasty threatning letter about trying to deceive & mislead them by not SORN ing it - nothing further heard on either of my vehicles, if they wanted a SORN all they had to do was ask :twisted:

I see annual SORN and paper tax disks look like they are on the way out..........
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes