super Dexta Dual clutch repair

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ianpdexta
True Blue

super Dexta Dual clutch repair

Post by ianpdexta »

I am planning to split the tractor soon to sort out the clutch, it won't release the PTO and I did try giving it some work with a Topper in some long grass last year. Apart from a release bearing should I replace anything else as a matter of course also is there a good description of how to set up the clutch anywhere in here? I have repro workshop manual but the pictures did not copy well .

I understand that it has to be assembled on the bench and the alignment is done at that stage.

Regards

Ian

pjjms
True Blue

Re: super Dexta Dual clutch repair

Post by pjjms »

I would look at the rear crank seal. Not hard to replace. If you take the flywheel off and find a leak it's a good time to replace it. I think there's also a seal between the inner and outer gearbox shaft that leaks into the middle of the clutch when it fails.

I don't recall building the clutch being difficult or needing any special tools. Setting the finger heights, I just measured mine up from the bench and it works fine. I just aligned the plates by eye.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You may want to look at getting a brand new clutch assembly. It works out nearly as cheap as replacing the discs and you get all new metalwork and linkage.

Also check out the thrust bearing, the ones supplied by most of the aftermarket suppliers does not fit the buttons on the plate correctly. I had this problem last year and had to make a spacer and fit a narrower bearing to get the size to fit the clutch lever buttons.

Replacement offered is on the left, original one is on the right.

New bearing fitted with spacer.

Spacer.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks for the answers. I think I will hold fire on spending until I have it out. Is the Dexta clutch the same as an MF 35? (if that isn't considered bad language here? :lol:

Regards

Ian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Are you asking to get banned from the board Ian? :curse:

The clutch on the Dexta is totally different and far superior to the M-F one.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Ouch, my wrist is still stinging, I had better not mention the grey paint spots on my shed floor :wink:

Oh and many thanks for the pictures which I just noticed.

Regards

Ian

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I have now split the tractor and removed the clutch from the flywheel. the first thing I notice is that the 3 screw heads which the release bearing pushes against are quite worn, it looks as if the bearing may have been ceased at some point and skidding, although the present bearing seems OK.

Are these screws available to renew them?

2nd point, how do I set up the clutch? I understand that the friction plates are centralised on the bench, not when refitting to the flywheel, do I need to make up some kind of jig for this?

I take Brian's point about replacing the whole thing but it doesn't look too bad so far and also I note some large variation in the prices being asked for replacment clutches, I wonder if the cheaper ones are OK?

I will add some Pictures when I get a free evening.....

Any help / guidance will be much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I just eyeballed the friction plates when putting it together on the bench, and it went together fine

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks pijms,

You have given me some confidence, I am sure I can make some sort of alignment out wood and turned metal parts.

I have a printed manual bought at a steam fair but the photocopied pictures are black and white literally ie no shades of grey so they are not that helpful. I have also searched all the dual clutch references in the old forum. Unfortunately when I follow instructions to http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manuals.htm section V the clutch, all I get is a page with fordson-dexta.de in large pink lettters and some advertising links to other sites.

Am I doing something wrong or have the workshop manual pages been moved? it certainly sounds like an excelent resource if I can get to it.

Regards

Ian

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Hi Ian,
I am a beginner so can't offer expertise. I did buy the whole manual set on CD off ebay for about £2.
Once saved to a computer or Ipad it's so much easier to zoom right in on all the details. Very useful.
I also bought a tractor restoration dvd from Reborn Tractor.Net. It's a MF135 not a Dexta but it cover's just about everything and the filming and content are brilliant. I highly recommend it although it's a wee bit pricey at £26ish.

Ta
John

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Her is a link to the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPQX6VsVjY

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Ian,
Look here -( http://www.fordson.se/1-5_Dexta_verksta ... 01-100.pdf )
section 5.( Page 90 of the PDF}

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

pghBill,

Thank you for that, it the manual looks great, with a very comprehensive section on the clutch. :D

Regards

Ian

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I am now reassembling the dual clutch, the manual has been very helpful, but I am now stuck. I need to know how to adjust the height of the adjusting screw heads on the fingers . The manaul refers to a setting block which of course I don't have, but doesn't give any dimensions. the screws have definately been moved since factory set up.

I think the key thing is just to know the set up distance between the mushroom heads and some reference face. for the PTO and for the Transmission. Can anyone hepl with this?

Regards

Ian

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Hi Ian,
Did you manage to get your clutch sorted out?

Regards
John

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

No I haven't yet, time and other commitments have got the better of me. I have however bought a new clutch so I can measure the height of the fingers from the flywheel face. I will post this data for others to use in due course. I also have done a some tin work repairs and spraying the re will be some pictures to post. Regards

Ian

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I have attempted to recondition several Dexta dual clutches without success. Even after I had made a jig for dismantling and setting up the clutches, copied from a genuine Fordson Jig belonging to a friend.

I found that after fitting new friction plates the clutch wouldn't release due to the holes in the carrier for the finger pivot pins being worn. This wear is magnified by the distance from the pivot to the adjusting screws, resulting in a very large movement of the release bearing for a minmal movement at the other end of the lever. As is illustrated when using a crowbar.

If the pivot holes are badly worn, in my opinion, it is a waste of time attempting to overhaul the clutch unless the necessary spares are available. So by buying a new clutch you have made a wise decision.

If you refer to the Workshop manual, adjustment of the setting screws is made using the jig and three setting blocks, each screw being adjusted in turn.

Gerald

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks Tubal,

I will take on board your experience and that of Brian who said he same thing some time back, I will forget the old clutch now. Does anyone want a pair of new friction plates? going cheap.

Still no progress on the Super Dexta, hopefully I can reassemble some of it before Christmas.

The other thing is that I have taken quite a few pictures of tin work repairs and other things which I haven't got round to posting, is it possible to post directly on this site or must it be done via Photobucket or simillar? I know on some forums you can donate and then use the forum web space which is much less faff to do. Unfortunately my befuddled brain cannot remember if I have donated to site or not?

Regards

Ian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ianpdexta wrote:The other thing is that I have taken quite a few pictures of tin work repairs and other things which I haven't got round to posting, is it possible to post directly on this site or must it be done via Photobucket or simillar? I know on some forums you can donate and then use the forum web space which is much less faff to do. Unfortunately my befuddled brain cannot remember if I have donated to site or not?
Pics can't be posted onto this site - afraid it's photobucket or similar. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I have just been looking at Dexta spares on the Malpas web site, a dual clutch is advertised at £216.00, at that price it isn't worth the hassle to attempt to rebuild an old unit.

Gerald

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Gerald, does that include the whole thing? All set up? Would you just need to add the bearing?

Thanks
John

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

John, I've just ordered one from Malpas, I shall let you know what you get with it.

Regards
Andy

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

That would be great, thanks Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Here's the clutch part no. I bought

Here's some shims or brackets that come with it, as its been so long since I took it apart I can't remember what these do without looking at the parts assembly and I'm pressed for time.

new clutch "front"

new clutch "back"

old clutch "front"

old clutch "back"

The main difference is the back plate is still attached to the old clutch, I would have probably sent it off like that if I want for one of those exchange deals. I believe the right hand bolt(s) removes it.

Cheers
Andy

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi,

I do not recognise the parts shown in your first photo, I'm certain that they do not belong to the clutch. In fact I would go so far as to say that they do not belong anywhere on the Dexta.

Your new clutch assembly looks the bee's knees, even down to the pink painted springs and hopefully well worth the money. Let us know how you get on with it.

Gerald
Last edited by Tubal Cain on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.