Gap between bottom hose and fan belt

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
aldo
True Blue

Gap between bottom hose and fan belt

Post by aldo »

Hi everyone.
I just installed a new bottom hose and with a slight twist of the hose when tightening the clamp, the biggest gap I can get is about 4-5 mm. That's seems a bit close for comfort.

Just wondering what gap you all have between the bottom hose and fan belt, at the nearest point.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Ah, yes, I remember that from my Dexta as well. The gap is quite small. When I replaced the hose, the old one was partly worn where the fan belt had bitten into it.

This is how I solved it. I took an old tin can and sawed out a section of the curved vertical part. This I attached on the hose between the fan belt and the hose. I believe I made 4 notches in the piece of tin and secured it with 2 tie-wraps that went around the hose and were kept in place by the notches. Worked fine for me for many years without any problems.

Barry Thomas (BarryT on the forum) owns my Dexta now. Perhaps he is willing to post a picture.

Cheers!
Oscar

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Aldo, I just went out and checked the clearance on my belt/hose. It is very close, less than 4 MM. The belt does not appear to have ever rubbed the hose however.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Thanks Oscar, and good idea about the tin, I will do that just in case.
Terry, good to hear that your gap is also very small.
I wasn't sure what size gap is normal, because the old hose I took off was a home made job (not made for the Dexta), and also the front end is modified to take the front end loader. The new hose fitted perfectly, so now I know everything is okay.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

aldo,

I would not worry about the small gap approx 5mm all Dextas that I have seen are the same, when you fit the new hose twist it as much as possible to get the maximum clearance and then tighten up, get someone else to twist it for you while you do the tightening up, should do the trick. Oscar I have replaced the hoses on Ol Blue and therefore cannot take a photo, but I clearly remember your handy work with the tin sheet!!

Regards,

Barry