oil filter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
sky blue
True Blue

oil filter

Post by sky blue »

hi i just thought id share this with you all , ihad changed the oil an filter last sept as per usual
had nt done a lot with her since about 20hrs , well itook her out for arun and happily driving along
when the oil light came on, i killed the engine right away, the whole side of tractor was covered in oil,
the ruber seal had been cut into with the housing of the filter and had spewed the oil out. this has happened
i see on here before, is there a fault with the seal or have i been heavy handed wthe 5/8 when tighting up the nut
lucky this time i caught it in time without the oil warning light things could have been very different, im now
going to get me a spin on type filter as i cant trust this origanal filter or myself when tighting it up, let others be weary
of this when changing the oil and filter :) sly blue

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: oil filter

Post by Bensdexta »

I believe there is a problem with some rubber seals being too narrow in the groove on the filter head so they twist when the bowl is tightened up.

Think the advice is "When you change the filter, don't change the seal unless there's a prob with it."

But spin-on has got to be the way to go - better filters, better job all round. Paint it blue and the purists will never know the difference! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
I've had the seal leak but only because there were several seals in there :oops: I took out 1 seal and replaced with new one that came with filter / there had be 2 fitted b4 ? by someone else.

so now I always really check that the grove is clear with something pointy , like the point on a dart .
never had one leak since .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

ithink your most likely right about the thickness of the seal ben,i always renew the seal
when doing an oil change and have checked as tomlad says with a pointed scriber
to make sure theres no dirt or rubber left in . i do think the spin on filter will be abetter job
the engine it much to expenisive to have to rebuild after having done it 4 years or so ago. :oops: :oops:
sky blue