Dexta Alternator!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
alang
True Blue

Dexta Alternator!

Post by alang »

Hi,
My 1958 Dexta has an alternator fitted and I suspect it may be failing. Can any one suggest what alternators are generally used to replace the original dynamo - I cannot see a name on the old alternator.
Would I be right to think the later 2000, 3000 series tractors had alternators and that this is the best route?
Thanks

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Dexta Alternator!

Post by sky blue »

hi , most alternators wil do if the bracket holes line up, so you should be ok with
the ford 2000 if the bracket fit , also some are fitted with a connection plug which is handy
when changing them if not just make sure the wires go back as removed
it might be better if you remove alt and take it along to tractor dealer
if your not sure,they may be able to test it making sure its the alt which is your problem:) :)
good luck

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

As your not using excessive power (radio, air con, heater fan, heated seats, fog and spot lights etc) a lower rated alternator would be Ok. I would try a scrappies for a UK model car with Lucas alternator. Usual models are 15ACR 17ACR etc. BTW the R suffix indicates an in built regulator so just usually three connectors (two large to battery and small to dash lamp).
Ebay £10 - £50.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I would seek out a Bosch alternator from a the likes of an old Nova or Fiesta, about 55amp (more than enough), very rugged and reliable and better than the Lucas variety (and their chocolate regulators and naff brush setup)
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Both the alternators I have had fail in recent years have simply had worn brushes. Cheap and easy to fix.

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Thanks guys,
I'm going to Cheffins on Saturday and I'll keep my eyes open for one off a 2000, but failing that I'll pay visit to the car breaker just down the road.