Up and running at last

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ericcullen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Up and running at last

Post by ericcullen »

I purchased a 1958, Fordson Dexta, eight years ago off a Shark at Rowland Plains, Port Macquarie NSW, Australia.
After arriving home with her, started up the motor and took her for a drive around the paddock. To my surprise she appeared to be running on three cylinders, hydraulics not working. Disappointed, I put her under cover.
A week passed, I changed the oil and filter. A friend’s opinion told me that it could be the injectors, so the injectors were reconditioned. I started the motor with no difference to its performance. Another opinion and we fiddled with the timing. Well the marks were incorrect and I took the old girl for a run again and ended up putting the main bearing through the side of the block! That’s what happens when you have limited mechanical knowledge and no work shop manual.
About three years passed, Dexta still sitting under an overhang, off the shed. A dear friend of the family visited me for my birthday party, sees the dexta and asked me if I wanted to sell her. I said, “No, I want to finish what I started”. John being a guy known for his ability with diesel motors, said he would get her going for me. To cut a long storey short, John developed cancer during this time and sadly passed away.
The Dexta was still in pieces and I said to John’s family that I would pick it up off his Shark, but some friends and neighbours out of good spirit and memory for John assembled it.
I picked her up and got her home after being away for about two years on John’s Shark. Anxious to start her, but she was locked up. We tried tow starting her with no luck. I put her back in the shed, wound her back on the crank using a screw driver. She started, ran for one minute until my stomach felt sick. You could hear the grinding noise of metal. I quickly shut her down. It was now that I realised, if you want something done, do it yourself.
With the help of my Step Father and these Dexta tractor pages, we pulled her apart to find that the middle sleeve had pulled down onto the crank and smashed into a million pieces, with metal all through the motor. I found that the new pistons that we had purchased in the kit, were replaced with old crappy ones, but with new rings (fowl play or misunderstanding somewhere). The sludge in the sump was thick and hard and had not had any attention. All in all I worked out to date that the old girl has cost about $7000 Australian dollars cost + parts and I have had her running now for three hours in eight years and I still have more money to spend. Yes I am still married and the dexta is operational.
Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge on the Dexta.

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Up and running at last

Post by sky blue »

this is alesson in its self ,goes without saying if you buy an old tractor to
save or make money
YOU WONT
as for money and time spent , think of it like this if you play golf or fish for a pastime
hobby the money spent is on going and unrecoverable unless your a pro , the same with
our little ol tractors :) i supose if some one does happen to make to make a shilling out
of an old machine its probley more to luck or they are are a professional just like the golf,
enjoy your time with dexta an think of it as pastime or it will drive you insane :buddies: :beer:
sky blue

ericcullen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ericcullen »

I am sorry if I sounded negative. I was reading what I said, I noticed a number of words with shark. The only shark was the guy that sold it to me the rest I rote were spelling mistakes. What I didn't say was that it has been a very satisfying long project.

ericcullen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ericcullen »

It’s been a while since I posted the last message and I have changed my mind.

I Love this tractor, I have had so much fun on it and getting allot of use from it. My wife is happy because it is now starting to pay for itself. I now thank the guy that sold it to me as it has been one of the most enjoyable toys I own.

It’s still rusty leaking oil, is a site for sore eyes but I get on it the motor purrs along beautifully and not much will stop her.

Have been preparing for a wedding this weekend that my wife and I agreed to our place which is 5 acres in the middle of a thousand. Dex has been a champ slashing, digging a hole for a fire pit/BBQ, clearing lantana and moving a solid concrete cattle trough to the paddock.

My wife is happy because Dex is now becoming a worthwhile investment and I am happy because this old beautiful piece of rusty, bent historical machinery is still holding its own after all these years.

Hmmm, bit like me?

:buddies:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Glad to here you have finally got her up and running although there are a couple of points in your post that need clarifying. You say she was running on three cylinders, Dextas only have three cylinders!!! :D :D :D (Just teasing, we know what you mean really).

This site has an automatic function that removes bad language and certain rude words, changing them for innocuous ones and it has taken a dislike to the word p.r.o.p.e.r.t.y. even after many tries to correct this malfunction the team have been unable to do so, we have to live with it, that is the reason there are a lot of "sharks" swimming in your original post.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian