fuel pump removal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ianpdexta
True Blue

fuel pump removal

Post by ianpdexta »

Hello

I wish to remove the fuel injection pump to be able to clean up and paint behind it and the pump its self. Reading the manual pdf I think it is clear to me how to reset the timing when refitting it, but I wonder if there is any other maintenance I should be doing while it is off. the manual refers to a pnuematic diaphram and air filter. Mine seems different so maybe I don't have to do that? see picture.

I will of course seal the ports as best I can with tape while the pipes are off.,

Regards

Ian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: fuel pump removal

Post by Bensdexta »

Ian, yours is a mechanically-governed fuel pump, the later type typical of a Super Dexta - so no diaphram.

Before you remove it, I suggest you remove the cover from the front of the timing case and put a white dot (or similar) on the two teeth where the pump engages the idler gear. That way you can be sure to keep the timing - of course don't turn the engine crank shaft whilst the pump is off.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: fuel pump removal

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks Ben (bensdaxta) the engine might well move when the pump is off because the tractor is split and the injectors are out, but if I have the white dots and marks I should be able to put it back correctly.

Regards

Ian