Best repair method for worn radius rods

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Best repair method for worn radius rods

Post by Chris Ivin »

I have not managed to find a long term solution to the worn radius rods on my Dexta. My normal short term repair is to use metal filler to pack out wear in the socket but this fix only lasts a few months. The movement in the radius rods also has the knock on of causing premature wear in the front axle pivot.

I would like a more permanent fix, has anyone any repair methods that they would recommend?

My Dexta still has to work(part time) for a living undertaking several hundred miles of road work a year together with field work so the radius rods do take a fair bit of stick!
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Best repair method for worn radius rods

Post by sky blue »

i dont know about the best repair method but i use a peice of soft metal ,copper or the such
as this will wear again but will not wear out the metal ball as it is softer than the metal.
it will take up the slack in the joint, just tap it into the cups an tighten up , this usually
does mine about a year or so depending on usage its easy to redo again :) sky blue

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Ferguson Radius Rod Repair Cups TEA20 TED TEF Massey 35 135 Fordson Dexta:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1229369166
When coppers were copper!
Worth a try - let us know if you do!

The other way is to file down the faces of the rod and cup to make the cups less deep. But clearly there's a limit to how many times one can do this. Keep 'em greased too - perhaps there should be a grease nipple? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I did find the "repair kit" on Ebay the other day, I shall have to dig around my tins of old change!

I have heard about the fix of filing down the faces of the rod and cup but as you say you can only do that so many times.

I also found that you can buy replacement radius rod ball ends for our red friends from Coventry, ball diameter 34.5 mm. I wonder if that is the same size as the Dexta :?:
http://www.silverfoxtractorspares.com/m ... 1901-p.asp
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks for the tip about the weld-on ball ends.

One other point to note is keeping the correct spacers fitted in front and behind the main front axle pivot pin. These spacers should take the fore and aft loads on the front axle, rather than the radius rod ball ends. Many Dextas don't seem to have any front axle spacers.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

never knew that they sold replacment ballends nice one, as for the front axel spacers,
there was a debate on the old form about the need for them , i belive that they are ,
and acually made some for my own dexta , these can probley be bought new now same
as the ballends.
a few years back all thes things where unavaible but things have improved since.
i am getting off the subject the weld on ballends are the way to go,
if the rods themselves are good enough :D