Dexta linkage height question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Dexta linkage height question

Post by agroman »

Hello
My linkage is not lifting high enough. With PZ turner attached it is difficult to get it's wheels of the ground unless top link is fully shortened. Someone has tried to get around the problem by drilling another set of holes in the link arms for the drop arms to bolt to, another bodge!
Before I take the top off the hydraulic casing and look for worn linkage, I have a question about the position of the lift arms bolted to the hydraulic chest. I have noticed that my RH arm with levelling box hits the axle when fully lowered. There is marking on the axle casing where it hits. Is this normal? Or has someone bolted the arms on the control splines in the wrong place - i.e. too low? Is it a case of unbolting these pulling them off and re-alineing?? Are there any marks to aid correct positioning? Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

I feel a learning curve coming - bring it on!!
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Dexta linkage height question

Post by Jerry Coles »

My Dexta's have three holes in the link arms for setting the desired bottom distance etc.
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is a master spline on the lift cross shaft and one in the arm so it should not be possible to get them in the wrong place. There is also a cut off pin inside the lift that puts the linkage into neutral when the lift is fully raised.

One thing that has happened in the past when this problem has come up is that the lift arms have been fitted the wrong way round when they have been attached to the lower links. The casting that the pin goes through and the rod and leveling box screw into has a different sized slot on each side. If it is fitted to the lift arm with the short slot pointing to the axle, the lift arm will jam and not go to full height.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Thanks for info, I have checked the drop arms and they are the correct way round so this is not the issue. I have included a picture to show the measurement I have of 24cm from axle to centre line on top lift arm pin, when the linkage is at full height.

Can anyone with good linkage check this?

If this is correct then it must be the drop arms which are extended too far. the LH one has been welded up, so would require a new one. The one with the levelling box is fine.
To get the linkage to full height the quadrant lever has to be moved beyond the quadrant and someone has removed the top bolt from the guide to allow lever to travel further.

You can see on the photo a dark patch on the axle where the levelling box will hit it when fully lowered. Am I looking at some internal ware somewhere?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Having seen the picture of your lever position I would suspect linkage problems internally. Possibly Position Control pin has worn completely off. You could also find the linkage is bent. Time to take the top off and reset. :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

I think you are right. What parts, seals, filters etc should I order before I start the job? I know some bits will need to be looked at when the top is off, but I might as well get all the bits I can 1st as this will speed things up, given that she is used regularly.