My Pap's Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

My Pap's Dexta

Post by DntBrnDPig »

I inherited a 1958 Dexta from my Pap when he passed on. It sat at his old place for several years until I brought it home. I got it started at his house, loaded it up, brought it home, and took it off a trailer and she died. Well I finally got it running (must have lost its prime and it took me several battery charges and weeks of research to figure that out) and now I am wanting to give it some TLC before I start to use it.

The first is the brakes. The left rear brake pedal doesn't rise back up after being pressed. Even pressing it completely down does little to slow the tractor down. I've been researching everything and think that maybe the springs inside are shot but I wont know until I take it apart. Besides rotating the adjustment gear through the fender - are there any other adjustments I can do? Any tips on replacing springs / cleaning up the brakes?

The second is I had some oil dripping from a hole in the clutch housing that has a bent cotter pin in it or something. I was reading in the manual that there is a asbestos rope seal there - how hard is it to change that out? Is there anything I can do to prolong that seal?

Lastly, I am going to do a fluid change - at least the engine oil. I'm looking at the Shell Rotella HD Diesel 15w-40. I've been reading that some of you use the same fluids in the rest of the tractor? Is that right?

Here is a video to my Dexta after I got her running again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvyc3L-kSQ

I've been lurking this forum for awhile. Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge - I have been a huge recipient of it and I appreciate it.

-DBTP

sky blue
True Blue

Re: My Pap's Dexta

Post by sky blue »

hi welcome to the site, nice looking dexta , the oil drips from where they are comming from
are the usual places that these older dextas do leak when they are getting on , they leak from pin
under cluth housing could be a gerbox seal or the rope seal from engine , to fix both the tractor needs to be split ,
do not try blocking the leaking holes
as these are there to let excess oil from gearbox or rope seal exscape and save oil damage to clutch .
back end brakes ect need a good ovehaul possible new oil seals aswell ,bit by bit youll get them sorted
and they are well worth doing . this is all part of the dexta fun :D

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Hello and welcome :D

It's not a Dexta but I highly recommend this restoration dvd. If memory serves they cover the rope seal and the brakes among a hundred other jobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPQX6VsVjY

Regards
John

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

sky blue wrote:do not try blocking the leaking holes
I dont want to block the holes but fix the seals that's making it leak. Splitting the tractor seems like a daunting task to me so I'm sure its going to take some courage building to do that.
sky blue wrote:back end brakes ect need a good ovehaul possible new oil seals aswell ,bit by bit youll get them sorted
and they are well worth doing . this is all part of the dexta fun :D
I have enjoyed working on it so far, although I have let some curse words out working on it.

Anyone know some places in the states to get parts for these? Specifically the brakes.

Thanks for the link Johnmcm, I've subscribed to that channel.

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

You need to get one of these shop manuals. from Yesterdays Tractor.com Oil seals are likely leaking and on brake shoes, so no brakes. That is what was wrong with mine.
You need to get one of these shop manuals. from Yesterdays Tractor.com

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

I downloaded a shop manual pdf, is it the same thing available at fordson-dexta.de?

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

Also, a couple people have said now that there is probably oil seal leaking in there and the brakes are probably oily. Do you think this is the cause of the pedal not raising?

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

No there is a cam device that spreads the shoes to brake. the shoes have likely slipped off it. When I first took mine apart did not get this back right and had that problem. went back and aligned shoes on cam thing and it fixed it. That or the shoes are backed way off. have you tried adjusting them?

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

I've turned it a few times but couldn't notice a difference so I stopped. Didn't know if I could break it by turning it too much. I'm going to give it a closer look when I get some time.

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

Did you get a chance to compare the pdf to that manual? I'm tempted to order it even if it's the same.

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

I finally had some time to get the tractor in the garage and get the wheel off. I can't figure out why my left brake pedal won't return up once I press it. Here is a picture of the left brake assembly with the pedal all the way to the floor. It doesn't return it just stays like this.

I thought that maybe the adjuster was maybe turned a little too much one way or the other, but adjusting it doesn't seem to want to raise the pedal at all.

Here is an overall shot of the brakes..

A few more shots at different angles.

I thought that maybe I could adjust the linkage to get a more aggressive bite, but the cross shaft linkage is notched so it can only go on one way.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

-Pig

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Turn adjuster till drum is locked, then turn back just enough to allow a bit of movement on the drum. When wheel is fitted, adjust again to make sure shoes are just clearing the drum, a slight rub is okay. :beer:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Are all the brake rods and cross shaft well lub'ed? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

I think maybe your green spring has been stretched.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

Ensure that the pivot points of the operation rod are loose. (clevis pins) If these are tight brake pedal does not come back!

DntBrnDPig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DntBrnDPig »

I've adjusted the brakes on both sides. The brakes work its just the pedal does not return.

For now I've wire tied the two pedals together - it kills my ability to steer using brakes but at least it's coming back up.

I will check the pivot points.

Thanks All!