Heater plugs

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oldcharlie
True Blue

Heater plugs

Post by oldcharlie »

ImageImage

I bought the one in the larger picture it said it was for the super dextra. The threads appear to be the same but it would not screw in! So I have now ordered the one that has yesterdays tractors on it. It looks exactly like the one in my tractor, but it says it if for a Massy Ferson . Just hope it fits. the first one was $12 the next one is $53!

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Heater plugs

Post by sky blue »

hi, is the rest of the heater system on your tractor and is it working
i am talking about the primer tap /'pump under the fuel tank and the
pipes to the spray nossel above the heater plug on monifold, these will
need to be working to get the heater system working not only heater plug.

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

No, after doing some more reading I may have just wasted my money on the heater plugs. There is no pump under the fuel tank, no piping nothing! Under the tank is just a cut off valve like I see advertised, Have no idea how it was fixed to get the fuel in there!

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

if you do not want to go to the expense of primer tap ect
then you should be able to get a refund on the heater plug
as it did not fit the monifold, you could always rig up resovir
type system, with a pipe leading to the newer heater plug ,type used on
more modern type tractors although you will still have to buy all the bits an new plug
it may be just as cheap to get the orignal set up working, you would have to do the sums
and see which you prefer, :eyes:

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

oldcharlie wrote:No, after doing some more reading I may have just wasted my money on the heater plugs. There is no pump under the fuel tank, no piping nothing! Under the tank is just a cut off valve like I see advertised, Have no idea how it was fixed to get the fuel in there!
I got your message. Unfortunately my tractor is at my other place right now (100 miles from me) and I won't get back there for a few weeks.So I can't get pics for you till then. :cry:
Don't get disheartened. You can solve your problem for about $140.00 [img][IMG]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k49 ... ueltap.jpg[/img][/img]
Get the proper valve for under the tank (About 115.00)
I'm assuming that the atomizer is missing from the manifold. If so plug the hole directly above the heater plug in the manifold. Then get one of these. [img][IMG]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k49 ... erplug.jpg[/img][/img] (about $20.00 )Fix that Ferguson.com part# 1021910M91. It fits right into the manifold where the old heater plug was. A piece of copper tubing from the rear of the fuel tap to the heater plug and hook the wire to the heater plug to the terminal on the new one.
This heater has a thermally operated valve in it that will allow you to pump fuel to it when it gets hot and closes when you let go of the heater button. Don't know why I can't upload the pics. Just copy and paste the urls to see the pics

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

My heater plug like the one in the picture came in the mail and it fits. Since my fuel valve on the tank don't have the pump just a cut off. I was wondering if until I can afford a new one ( old man 75, fixed income you know) if a rag soaked in fuel and placed over the air intake would not get the needed fuel to start the tractor now that the heater plug works?

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

that may or may not work and is extremly dangerous, either go with orignal setup
which is going to cost alot , or a blow lamp p,ointed into where the heater plug goes,
screw out the heater plug point blow lamp into hole and push leaver the tractor
should start then screw the heater plug back in use the old one as the new one is not needed
or hook as previously said the resivor way, this will not be as expensive as orignal setup,

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi how did you get on with the heater, useing the reservoir way you do not
really need to buy the tap for under tank, just the new plug type and a piece of
6mm pipe take this from plug to a small[ bottle ect this is the reservoir]
which can
be topped up with diesel say once a mth ,
now just a wire from battery to bush botton switch and from switch to
glow plug , job done , switch to be mounted on dash ,reservoir where is handy to get at to fill
regular, cheap but will work .

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

I will try to find a heater like you are talking about that sounds like the way to go. Thanks!

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

what is going on ? I have a super dexta , just an ordinary on/off fuel tap, no pipe to manifold or any such thing. If required there is a primer button on the fuel pump which I have never had to use. In very cold weather, i.e. minus degrees a press on the heater switch for ten to fifteen seconds is all i've ever needed :beer:

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

lucky you brian, you dont know what fun your missing, :cry:

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Brian I thought that possibly someone had removed the pump type valve from my fuel tank,but if yours don't have one maybe they didn't come with one! My Super Dextra is a 1963 as near as I can figure.Do you know what year yours is? This is the only tractor I have ever owned. I bought it about twelve years ago, it was smoking like an army smoke machine, but ran OK so I thought I could get a little use out of it. So I pored oil in it and used it for the last twelve years.
By now i am in love with this machine so I spent the money to rebuild the motor and fix a few other things. I still know little about the thing as I did nothing to it except put a clutch in it that I tore up not knowing what I was doing! They are tough machines.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

as far as i know all dextas came from factory with the primer fuel/tap
even when new, the flame was needed
mybe someone who worked on them at the factory could confirm the super with
mech/ pump had primer fuel/tap :scratchhead: a lot primer taps
most likley failed and were just replaced with plain tap which is less hassle no
pipes ect,

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

One of the things I am going to have to do when I can afford it is have my injector pump rebuilt. After the motor rebuild i got the bright idea to put some of the fuel additive itit that cleans the pump and injectors. I don't know if that caused it or not but now the injector pump leaks pretty bad. after sitting for a couple of days the starter has to spin it quite some time to get the fuel back to the injectors making it slow to start. once started it will fire right up. But come winter I feel this will make starting a big problem.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Hi Charlie, my baby ist of super dextas made in 1962, it has a silver grill. The fuel tap is original and came from the factory like that, also the primer on the pump is original. I'm positive your super will be exactly the same :buddies:

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

sorry charlie, slight missprint. Should read first of the super dextas made in 1962 :clap:

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

if it is a Simms pump, it will have the primer on the pump :beer:

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

if its the push button on the mech/ pump , this is not the primer tap
, it works like a choke an allows extra fuel to
pump , the fuel primer tap/pump when used correctly cause a fire in the manifold
which is sucked into the cylinders helping the engine to start. sorry if im trying to teach
granny to suck eggs but the dexta did need this to help with starting, more so in colder
climate countries, the fuel button on the pump will help if the engine is in good nick but
if it is worn or very cold then some sort of flame is needed in the manifold to assist starting

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Sorry, I stand corrected, however the primer on the pump is the only one on the tractor :scratchhead: