fuel tap/primer pump problems

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
nathan
Not Quite Blue Yet

fuel tap/primer pump problems

Post by nathan »

Hi,
Started to restore the primer pump on my little dexta, but when I tried to undo the plastic tap it Snapped. Does anyone know the dimensions and measurements for the plastic tap.

Nick
True Blue

Re: fuel tap/primer pump problems

Post by Nick »

Hi, I had the same issue with my primer pump, I dont think you can buy any spare parts for them, so I just bought a brand new unit from agriline. You may get lucky on ebay etc for a second hand one :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi i think bensdexta is in the process of repairing his ,
there is a post under heater plugs about it, or bensdexta may
come in on this and help you out
he has the info to repair them

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Very happy with my Stefan Primer, a mod of the original using a Stihl chainsaw bulb:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... mer#p41391

I give the bulb a few squirts everytime I use the tractor to keep the diesel in the bulb fresh.

If you really want to repair your primer as original, suggest you get an old, probably non-working one, for parts (try Malcolm Hipperson).
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

nathan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nathan »

Thanks all for the advice and thanks BENDEXTA for the link managed to restore the tap in about 4 hours. just got to make the plastic tap now, but going to make it out of brass. Thanks again all. :D

ericcullen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ericcullen »

I tried a different approach. I use an out- board motor fuel bulb. I use some fuel line both sides, one into the jar containing diesel and the other connected to the manifold. I squeeze the pump a couple of times and it pumps in around the manifold heater. Heat it up for a short time and it starts %100 every time. I am still looking for a permanent solution, but this does the job.