Injector pump

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oldcharlie
True Blue

Injector pump

Post by oldcharlie »

I rebuilt the engine on my 1963 super dextra in may. At that time I found out the injector pump had oil in it. Mine had almost none. This is the 4588 pump
I had checked it a few time and a little oil would run out the check hole . Today I checked it and diesel fuel shot out the check hole and ran for a while. I drained it and refilled it with oil. It cranked and ran fine.
After setting a while it takes a while to get it to start the pump is leaking fuel on the out side and it takes it spinning over a while before it cranks. After that it cranks right up. But I stray!!!
Why would the injector pump be getting diesel fuel in the oil sump of the pump? Anyone have a clue?

jerry
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Injector pump

Post by jerry »

Hi Charlie I have the same problem with my 63 super Dexta I also had the engine rebuilt about 4 years ago it runs great. I don't Know whats wrong But until I find out I have shut off the fuel tap at the tank when not in use. With no head pressure from the tank the oil seams to be free of diesel fuel. Sorry I can't help more but thought I would let you know what I have been doing. Jerry

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I will give turning off fuel supply a try. I plan to get my pump re built. but thatis a lot of money for an old man on a fixed income, but it is going to have to be done!
Charlie

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I think a bit of diesel should be in there as a lubricant , tiny bit of seepage , presumably as things wear more this becomes a proper leak .
I've not had a pump re built yet because of cost , I guess the logic is that its prob 50 years old now so wear is to be expected :cry:
that doesn't help pay for the re build tho eh ,
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Some of the older models don't use oil in the injector pump, they are lucubrated with diesel fuel. But the 1963 Super Dextra pump is filed with oil.