Taken her top off

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Taken her top off

Post by agroman »

Finally got round to getting the hydraulics apart. So far I have found a bent linkage from the draft control lever to the spring actuator. Also the normal pin ware problem. Interestingly someone has previously replaced the pin with a roll pin, which not great surprises has worn through to half a roll pin!
Not got any further yet. but I have taken a number of pictures to aid re-assembly if I need them. I can post them when I get time.
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

agroman
True Blue

Re: Taken her top off

Post by agroman »

Update I have also found that someone has broken and re-welded the draft control link. It looks an okish job. The pin has a slight kink in the re-welded area but the threaded end appears true. So hopefully this is serviceable without have to source a second hand one or get a local engineering company to make one. The draft knuckle was well and truly seized and could be the reason the inner pin got snapped / bent in the first place, if someone had got too wilful trying to turn the knuckle in situ.

The link arm yokes are completely seized on the cross shaft splines. I have got the locking bolts off and cleaned up, soaked in penetrant and then heated whilst using a bolt and washer to tighten the arms up to aid setting as per the wiki guide. However there was no joy at all. So rather than looking for trouble, I think I will leave them be.

One question - the wiki guide says the bottom surface of the yoke must be parallel with the mating surface the top cover. Daft question but is this the bottom of the outside of the yoke arm or the bottom of the pin hole in the yoke?

Have managed to carefully remove the unload valve and bushes. All this looks to be in good order, including the plunger seal, so gave it a good polish and put it back together.

Also found that the top link rocker bush in the rear casting is seized in place. The ends of the bush are broken / warn away. I will have to make up a puller with some threaded bar and suitably sized bushes. But it looks as if it's going to be a struggle :evil:

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I made a puller from H/T threaded bar
there are pictures on here some were ...

mine took a bit of heat + the pulling force to shift .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 474#p30985

I can take better photos if it helps .
local agri dealer had new bush , two together was the correct width , but they are a tiny bit loose tbh. a linkage pin lives through the hole to be sure , think there cat 1/2 bushes ?

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Thanks for info.
Made up a puller with some threaded bar and sockets / bushes. reamed up damn tight but no movement yet :cry:

I have just run a bit of weld along the inside length of the bush - Brian's trick. Not easy because it's rusty inside the bush and access is hampered by the mudguard. I have yet to give this a try, will do tomorrow.

I think I am going to have to get myself a better gas torch so that I can get the whole lug really hot. My existing one is not up to this big lump of metal.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
sounds good

to be clear , I had removed my rocker, bush end rotten .
so the force off puller only on the centre casting , not the arms of the rocker .
I used heat , good plan I think , only warm / hot not glowing . ur trying to expand the outer of the bushing just a tiny bit to allow some movement , its prob been in there 50 year +.( but it is cast !)

good luck sir :beer:

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

I used some heat and knocked out the top link rocker bush with a hammer and a suitable sized socket :clap:

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Bush out!
Brian's trick of running a bead of weld up the inside of the bush worked a treat! The home-made puller and a bit of work with the lump hammer whilst under pressure got it moving. Surface of the bush still in as new condition after 50+ years!

Now onto the next jobs of making up a new position pin and taking out the pump / checking relief valve.

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Please can you take some pics. The position control pin issue is high on my list. :cry:

Ta
John

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

A couple of these threads on the forum pointing out the difficulty of getting the original bush out. Can anyone tell me how hard is it to get a new bush (e.g the A-line one) back in.
[A previous owner took an angle grinder to part of my top link casting and i'm trying to work out whether to put a replacement one on - remove the pin, or try welding the original - leave pin in place].