Linkage Balls

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Linkage Balls

Post by agroman »

The linkage balls on the inner joint of the link arms are very worn. I was able to push them out of the cups with a hammer. Agriline show an 'interchangeable ball' with a cut out in the surface of the ball. Would this be a suitable replacement or do I have to go down the route of cutting the arms and welding on new balls and cups or complete new link arms?
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Re: Linkage Balls

Post by Chris Ivin »

I replaced my lift arms with the Agriline interchangeable balls arm about 8 years ago for the same reason (wear). They have been very useful as I can hitch up to any Cat 1 or Cat 2 implement (within reason). My plough is a Ransomes TS59 with Cat 2 linkage and the Dexta handles her well. The arms would not suit the concours showman but for anyone intending to use their machines I would thoroughly recommend them.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Chris Ivin wrote:I replaced my lift arms with the Agriline interchangeable balls arm about 8 years ago for the same reason (wear). They have been very useful as I can hitch up to any Cat 1 or Cat 2 implement (within reason). My plough is a Ransomes TS59 with Cat 2 linkage and the Dexta handles her well. The arms would not suit the concours showman but for anyone intending to use their machines I would thoroughly recommend them.
Chris,

Does that involve replacing the entire lift (link) arm, or just welding on a new end with a dual cat ball?

A pic would be fantastic!
Last edited by Bensdexta on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

These are the items that I fitted:

Chris

Brailes, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Many thanks for the pics. :wink:

Is the implement end ball held in with a clip?

So to change cat, you take out the ball and replace it with the cat you want?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I also bought a set of those arms for Dotty and my experience has been far from satisfactory. The lower balls were so tight in the arms that they did not allow the arms to move. After a time one arm bent and the other wore the ball out. The upper balls were never interchangeable as they seized into the arms within a few weeks and nothing I could do would free them enough to change the balls.

Dotty is a working tractor and sometimes has to spend the night outside. Even in the yard, over winter she is just sheeted up. I have now reverted to the original Dexta arms and they are fine so I am now looking for a set of Super Dexta ones so she can go back on the plough.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

I have just ordered a pair of Agriline weld on ends to replace the inside links. Hopefully these will be of better quality than Brian's experience, or else they will be sent back. I an certainly not butchering my original link arms to replace with rubbish. Hopefully all will be well and I can give my welding skills some good practice.
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

It just goes to show how inconsistent some of these products can be. Mine have been fine, the balls move freely and are easily interchangeable. THe balls are held in by clips, no problem to change (in my case). Brian's were obviously from a different batch.
Chris

Brailes, UK

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi my arms on my s dexta , the outers are changeable , very useful .
don't drive around with out anythink hitched cus the balls will rattle out , wont happen when a implement is hitched .

is it possible to tighten up worn ball ends ?? I've herd of a bit being cut out then re welded , but I don't know how this is in practice - is it worth the time ?

I like agriline but I have had repro parts that aren't really right , but they generally try to resolve issues .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.