12 volt alternator

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oldcharlie
True Blue

12 volt alternator

Post by oldcharlie »

I ordered a an alternator to put on my 1963 super Dextra and of course UPS lost it! But the company is shipping me another. I ordered a GM one wire 80 amp alternator. I had read this was the way to go. My friend says that it will have to have a switch on it to turn it off and on when it is not running. But none of the instructions I have read on line say this!
They simply say to run the one wire to the battery and that is it! Has anyone here used the one wire alternator and if so which is the right way to go? Thanks for any help.

Nick
True Blue

Re: 12 volt alternator

Post by Nick »

Hi, not sure if this would work, but could you not just utilise the large yellow cable already in your tractors loom, connect it at the alternator, and the other end, just connect it to the switched side of the ignition switch, just means it wouldn't charge if the ignition switch was off.

I assume it would work like that? Might also be an idea to put an inline fuse in too just incase?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Don't think you need to 'switch off' the alternator. It will switch off automatically when it stops rotating. If you're particularly worried, just fit an isolation switch to the +ve battery terminal, see here
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 34&p=34253

For advantage / disadvantage of the one-wire alternator see here:
http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html
as below:
- Installation is simplified and provides for a very clean setup.
- Regulated voltage monitored at alternator; low voltage conditions may occur at main terminal power post.
- The ignition warning light is omitted.
- Throttle must be blipped 1200-2000 RPM at startup to force it to cut-in.
- May be more expensive.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I would say that there definitely should not be a switch between the alternator and battery, unless it is something very different to normal. If an alternator is run up to speed with no load then the voltage can go too high and destroy the electronics. All the cars I have ever worked on have the alternator permanently connected, if the rectifiers are in good condition then it will not take any current from the battery.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Thanks after reading all the posts it is obvious that it dose not need a switch. I also learned that you have to rev up the engine to activate the one wire alternator. Thanks a lot guy! Now if UPS just won't lose this one!