Alternator Came

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oldcharlie
True Blue

Alternator Came

Post by oldcharlie »

The thing is chrome :D so now I have a hot rod tractor. The main thing is it seems to working well with the one wire hook up!
[img][/imghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Oldcharlie/68bac570-bdfd-4d77-b099-a8af3b79f2fe_zps7d2712db.jpg]

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Alternator Came

Post by Bensdexta »

Cool! :wink:

but who sat on your drag link? :(
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Just be aware that the wire you have connected looks to be very light for an up to 80A current load
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

The wire is 10 gauge which is what it called for but like you it looks small to me also.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

True, the wire does look a bit small for 80Amps but then it should never have to take that much current, unless something goes badly wrong or if you were to fit the likes of heated rear screen, massive stereo, 10 spot lights...............

I think it wil be fine.

regards

Ian

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

The only thing electrical that works on this old girl is the starter! And now the heater for cold weather starting, I just put it on. The battery is weak I am going to replace it It won't make this winter. My next door friend says I need to replace the the battery cables and the one to the starter. I think will take his advice and do this with good heavy duty cable ans fittings.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

ianpdexta wrote:True, the wire does look a bit small for 80Amps but then it should never have to take that much current, unless something goes badly wrong or if you were to fit the likes of heated rear screen, massive stereo, 10 spot lights...............

I think it wil be fine.

regards

Ian
It will be giving the full 80A for a period after most starting procedures as the battery will be slightly flattened and the alternator will operate in constant (read max) current mode until the battery terminal voltage has been restored.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!