New member saying hi : )

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

New member saying hi : )

Post by brianjbox »

Hi all

My names Brian and I moved to Lincolnshire about three years ago from Kent, I live smack bang in the middle of a farming community where my new friends are all farmers or farm workers.
For approximately 15 years I owned/restored classic VW campers, have written articles for magazines and documented projects/modifications so others could follow suit. Now up here there aren't any VW followers that I'm aware of, everyone here has a classic tractor!
No longer having a VW and missing something to tinker with I've bought myself a 1961 Fordson Dexta [same age as me :oops: ], I only picked it up Tuesday and know nothing about tractors, I didn't even know how to start it!
Now when in this predicament I tend to get straight on the internet and join a forum! I'm afraid I won't have to much to offer at first but you'll see I'll be on here most days and always make sure I'm appreciative of any help and advice I receive.

Here's a pic of it and a link to many more, please point out anything you see that's not right :shock:

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/brianjbo ... show/Dexta

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: New member saying hi : )

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Brian and welcome to a fantastic group. Here you will find lots of knowledgeable people willing to assist you with advice etc!
I notice you also have a Defender so with these two toys you will soon settle into the rural/agricultural world!
Your Dexta looks very good and up tidy so enjoy it!
Have you thought of registering it? No road fund tax, small insurance premium and taking it out on the road is great fun!
I would recommend a seat cushion though:))
Welcome again.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Hi Jerry and thanks for the welcome :D

I plan to register it as soon as as my friends all do the tractor runs that we have frequently up here, I do have the original brown log book and a green one :? so that may well speed things up, whether they let me keep the original reg is another thing.

The tractor was "restored" by a lovely old chap [82] and although it is tidy'ish I don't like the over spray on everything [including the battery] so will endeavor to get this off, I have been told the engine breaths a little but it does go like a rocket especially when you find 6th for the first time :shock: I nearly fell off the back :lol:

We have a tractor jumble here this Saturday being held at Market Rasen race track, I'll keep my eye out for a seat cushion there, failing that a new one :wink:

All the best

Brian

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

from one Brian to another, welcome to the most fantastic forum you will ever find :clap: your dexta looks great and will give you piles of fun for as long as you have her, all the best from Perth , Scotland :beer:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

What a beaut! :beer:

A couple of v minor obs: rear lights (on wings) aren't original dexta. A swinging draw bar would be a useful addition - a drawbar on the 3PL isn't recommended except for the lightest of trailers. I think swinging drawbar was standard, pick-up hitch (for trailers) an option. The wheatsheaf badge for a '61 should have an orange background. Also your gear sticks maybe be off an earlier Dexta, '61s have two plastioc tops (not one). All minor points for the anoraks!

Have you checked out the engine number and tractor no + casting codes, to confirm the date of manufacture - see 'serial numbers' on this site home page (not the forum!) under General?

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on a great purchase :clap:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Welcome!
Nice find. At least you are starting out with a tractor that actually looks like a tractor. Unlike a lot of us on this forum. I'm sure you'll find this group one of the best around :beer:

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Great looking tractor!

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Wow! Cheers guy's

Thanks for all the welcomes :D

Bensdexta I'll get onto those issue's right away, only kidding, I've spent up so the odd bit will wait :wink:

Anyone have a picture of a draw bar? I'd like to end up with a 50mm towball on it for moving my trailer around.

Brian

Funny'ish. Brian Cox my names Brian Box :shock: :lol:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

brianjbox wrote:Anyone have a picture of a draw bar? I'd like to end up with a 50mm towball on it for moving my trailer around.
See link to parts list on here, Dexta forum 'sticky' :
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland ... 997ag12409

You will need a 'hitch pin ball' with a 1"dia pin, available from ebay etc.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Link saved :wink:

Thanks Ben

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

HI Brian, just back from a weekend away. I know a guy called Kevin Box. :buddies:

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Brian Cox wrote:HI Brian, just back from a weekend away. I know a guy called Kevin Box. :buddies:
No relation I'm aware of :beer: :lol: