Radius arm ball / socket

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Radius arm ball / socket

Post by agroman »

Hi
My radius arms and footrests are suffering from the usual ball socket wear problem. Pivot pin also worn so this will be replaced / re bushed and more packing washers mad up, although there was a thick one in front and a thin washer at the rear of the pin.
Anyway the ball and socket are worn and need to be packed or replaced. Foot rests are available for the outer part of the socket. But the only way I have found of replacing the inner half of the socket is to look at the - dare I say it! Ferguson feet kits that come with the inner socket plate as well e.g. Agriline part no. 5791. Someone has previously fitted a Ferguson foot rest to the RH side of my Dexta, Obviously this is now removed! (also a Ferguson foot plate on the same side - Oh the indignity she has been carrying for all these years :cry:
I have also found a repair kit for the ball side on the radius arms. Although it was listed as a Fordson Dexta part, I think it is actually a ferguson bit, which appear to have a very similar system. Anyway I have ordered the balls to see if they will do the job. Obviously this will mean cutting the radius arm and re welding end, but should not be too much of a problem. Interestingly Agriline list complete radius arm under the Ferguson parts, I assume this will be different to the Fordson one.

Any thoughts it is going to cost a bit to buy all the various bits so I want the fix to work.The coke tin idea would be a lot cheaper! Was thinking about fitting a grease nipple. However I guess its not too much hardship to undo the 3 bolts and repack with grease every so often.

Thanks

Martin
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Radius arm ball / socket

Post by Jerry Coles »

I shimmed mine with the side of a coke can!
It wore through annually but was a cheap option - however don't over tighten the clamp bolts.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Radius arm ball / socket

Post by Bensdexta »

There's a guy who sells copper shims on ebay (actually old pennies I believe - not new ones as they are too hard).

Alternatively you may be able to file a bit off the clamping surfaces of cup & cap to tighten the joint.

Anyway don't butcher your rods. :eyes:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!