refitting head

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
sky blue
True Blue

refitting head

Post by sky blue »

hi iwill be refitting head next week just a couple of things before fitting
i cleaned up the top of the pistons and the top of block, iput a smear of clean engine oil
in the bores and the piston head and the block , to keep the the bits from rusting
will i have to clean bores with white spirit before fitting head or just leave the engine
oil in for lubration, also manual says smear front and back of gasket with jointing compound
what would be best for this, any other things i should do be fore fitting :scratchhead:
thanks in advance

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: refitting head

Post by ianpdexta »

I wouldn't claim to be an expert here but I would say a little oil in the bores would be a good thing, I certainly wouldn't want to clean the bores dry with white spirit. However too much could might run as fuel and cause an over rev ?? also if there was a significant quantity maybe the there would be no space left at all at the top of the compression stroke which might cause hydraulic lock and therefore mechanical damage.

I would wipe out any excess with a clean cloth, but leave a good film on the bores. a little oil will improve the compression which will help the first start up.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will be able to comment further.

Regards

Ian

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

thanks ian , have you any idea on the gasket, it is a copper one and the manual says
coat both sides with a jointing compound but not which type :scratchhead: some say
not to coat them at all :eyes: :eyes: , so what do i go with :?:

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Use copper coat it is a spray on copper coating it's the best for that job. I used it on mine on advise from a very good mechanic.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi oldcharlie ,itake it that is a spray paint not a copper grease :oops:
il google it anyways , thanking you

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

yes it comes in a spray can and works great. In the USA it is available in any auto parts store.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

ello
not to disagree with above ..
only my opinion

bit of oil in bores .... fine .. probably a good thing , I would think / hope it will drain thru the rings back into the sump any how so not to worry .
prob smoke abit on start up ?

if it was me re. gasket , new copper one , I'd use 'hylomar blue '
none setting sealer
it's not instant gasket
there a red one that sets hard , much harder to clean up next time .I don't use that.
I've used hylomar blue ,with a gasket for years , good product , no good on a petrol tank tho :oops:
smear abit on each side of the gasket , easy to use follow the instructions

bought my last tube in 'ericks ' bearings supplier. Image
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.