Main shaft teeth number

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Main shaft teeth number

Post by agroman »

The bearing on the clutch end of the main shaft has broken up and worn part of the main shaft. So I need to either build up and machine off main shaft or replace it. Question is my main shaft cog appears to have 29 teeth if I am counting correctly? The parts list and Agriline list it as 28 teeth, which should be correct for my 58 Dexta. I see there are sveral 'special ratio' shafts listed in the parts list as well as the 31 tooth S Dexta one. Can anyone shed any light on this. Should the 28 tooth part fit? At £100 it is probably as cheap to buy another as to get the original one machined. Not sure if the one I am looking at is the original or if someone has been in there before me.
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

agroman
True Blue

Re: Main shaft teeth number

Post by agroman »

Hi all just a nudge to see if anyone has any experience with the gearbox main shaft and size of the cog machined onto it. It should be 28 teeth according to parts list etc. Mine appears to have 29?? S Dexta had 31. So erring on the side of getting my existing main shaft repaired - the front needle bearing has broken up - wearing the shaft, so needs to be built up and ,machined before a new bearing can be fitted.

Typing difficult tonight as I managed to bash my thumb out with lump hammer rather than removing a collapsed spindle bush!! - What do they say about blood sweat and tears - certainly will have tears when I look at the bank account with this project. Sweat - telling my wife that I have ordered some more bits! Now the blood! This is turning into a proper project :clap:
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some