Engine rebuild.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Ciaran Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Engine rebuild.

Post by Ciaran Mac »

Hi I'm going to rebuild the engine on my dexta as the engine has a cracked block, is blowing by and is extremely difficult to start using the starter. Although it starts with a small push quite easily.
My dexta is a standard with a vacumn governed pump.
My questions are can I use super dexta liners for larger capacity,will the injection system need work to match the larger capacity and who do you reccomend buying a rebuild kit off.
Any thoughts or ideas and info are appreciated.

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Engine rebuild.

Post by sky blue »

when re building you will need to get old linners pushed out and new ones
installed and rebored, this will need to be carried out by a machine shop
the crank may need polished or regrinded ,after this the head if needed done
it is possibe after that to do the rest your self but the machine shop would probley
do this for you and do it right , they would also know and use their own suppliers.
iwoud talk to your local machine shop guy , i think they all use the larger pistons and linners
now but as you already said to get the extra hp the pump and fuel system and oil bath filter
and throtal lingage
would all need changed ,be cheaper to just keep the way it was built , :D

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I had my Dexta block relined to the 152 Cu In size and used the original pump etc with no noticeable difference.
One problem with the old 144 Cu In block is that that size of head gasket is now unobtainable.
The difference in bore I don't think would make much difference anyway but I may be corrected on this :?
Always an easy starter now but I did take heed of advice on this forum and worked it hard from day 1 to ensure the bore didn't get glazed. It might be a thought to remove the head, examine the bore and you might get away with just replacing the piston rings if everything else looks good.
Jerr
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Bore difference wont make any difference, a diesel engine can run a lean mix (excess air) so the fuel pump not being able to deliver enough fuel to exploit the full cc is not a problem
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!