Ignition key - Original v Repro

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Ignition key - Original v Repro

Post by Chris Ivin »

I managed to buy a good combined ignition/light switch(used) on Ebay a couple of years ago. However there was no key, the key of my cheap plastic switch did work with a bit of fiddling until recently but now I can't get the key to work! :cry:

Has anyone got both original and repro keys that they can compare. A comparison would help me in trying to make a key that works.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

dave91
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Ignition key - Original v Repro

Post by dave91 »

I have just seen your post. Did you find a picture of the original style key?
Regards,
dave91

1961 Fordson Super Major Live Drive, 1964 Fordson NP Super Dexta Live Drive,
Ford Force 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, & 7000.

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

No I didn't but I found the reason for my problem.

The old ignition switch was worn, a piece of metal(tumbler?) in the key slot had dropped sideways stopping the switch from operating. I had the switch apart but could not get at it so in the end I used a small drill bit and drilled it out. It works again now, probably anything will operate the lock in the switch now but at least I can turn the ignition on!

I could start it using the button on the solenoid without the key so it was not very secure anyway!!

Happy New Year.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Having had 5 key switches from all sorts of suppliers at all sorts of prices, and found they are all made by one company in Ireland and are all useless, I would not recommend replacing an original switch with one of the aftermarket ones on offer. From discussions with others who have used them my problems are not unique. I have solved them however, by getting an original Major switch from my friend Barry in Australia and will adapt this for Dotty. Dotty is perhaps a little harder on switches as you have to use it every time you want to stop the engine but the original lasted 50 years so I expected a replacement to last more than a few weeks.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Very happy with my separate Honeywell 84829 switch.
I have a Super Dexta lights-only switch in the usual position + this 'ignition' switch in the Super D position to right side of lower inst panel. No water probs thus far:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Like all the other aftermarket rubbish for sale the switches are made in places such as Turkey not Ireland .The company in Ireland distributes them everywhere.I have been told all this by my neighbour who works for this company. Liam.