Dexta hydraulics problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
millwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta hydraulics problem

Post by millwood »

i put new O rings in my lift cylinder. replaced all other O rings i could get to, had a worn pin welded up that rides on the lobe on the lift arms, had the linkages adjusted changed the fluid put it all back together and my lift goes all the way up like its supposed to now but slowly leaks back down even with the engine running. before i did all this it wouldn't go all the way up and leaked down when the engine wasn't running.. what did i do wrong???

Nick
True Blue

Re: Dexta hydraulics problem

Post by Nick »

Hi, did you replace the hydraulic piston seal aswell?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I don't have any direct knowledge of the Dexta hydraulics (yet) but it sounds to me like the valve, or may be the linkages that operate it, are sticking a bit. The valve plunger should slide in and out of it's bore in a sikly smooth manor.

This is based on the fact that when the engine is running iit will be pumping more than enough oil to make up for slight leakage so long as the valve allows it to.

Regards

Ian

millwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by millwood »

i did replace the piston seals

ericcullen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ericcullen »

Having the same problem. I don’t have the time to look yet. If you work it out please post your cure, perhaps it could be the same thing.

Kind regards
:curse:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If it leaks down with the engine running it sounds like a linkage or valve problem. Try this check, raise the linkage to the top of its travel then pull out the auxiliary service button. If the lift stays up and does not move your problem is in the control valve/check valve area. If the lift still drops you problem is piston seal, ram cylinder safety valve or "O" rings.

What piston seal did you use? Some suppliers only supply the "O" ring and backing ring for the '000nd series as Dexta seals and not the lipped seal. These will not work unless you also use the later piston.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian