New Dexta Live Clutch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

New Dexta Live Clutch

Post by Nick »

Hi guys and girls, I've just ordered a new clutch assembly from Malpas tractors, should be here next week, and i'm hoping to fit it next weekend. My question is, not having fitted a clutch before to a tractor, does the new assembly require setting up on the clutch fingers, or is it literally bolt on and go? :D :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: New Dexta Live Clutch

Post by ianpdexta »

The live drive clutch comes already set up, all you have to do is bolt it on. It goes on to an intermediate ring (I forget it's name) which you will need to re use your old one. The re have been a couple of threads on this recently.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=5793

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=5157

I have a new clutch ready to fit but I have a lot of other things to do first so I think you will beat me too it. Have you got the workshop manual? there are links to it on here somewhere, it's all been very kindly been made available on line for us.

Regards

Ian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply! By intermediate ring, do you mean those four spacer things in the picture in the top of your links? If so, my clutch had none of them on it??
I also, managed to luckily track down an old stock original thrust bearing on ebay, for £32.00! So I don't have to worry about messing around making a spacer etc. :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I now know what is meant by that ring lol! :oops: So its all assembled, just got to muster the patience to line it all up and slide it together now. I will post an update later on :D

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner Nick, but it looks like you have found the "ring" anyway. The sheet metal strips with 3 holes don't appear to have anything to do with the clutch, their presence being a mystery so far. I was temped to put the old bearing back in, it seems smooth enough but maybe I will check ebay now.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with assembly and set up of the pedal linkage etc.

I have bought the replacement bushes for the clutch cross shaft and I have removed the shaft, but it looks as though the shaft has worn as much as the bushes so I don't how much benefit I wil get from using the old shaft with new bushes I toyed with the idea of machining a half round slot in the LH end of the shaft opposite the original so the shaft could be put in 180 degrees rotated, so the unworn side would bear against the bush. Has anyone got a view on this?

Regards

Ian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I didn't get chance to post yesterday, but a couple hours and it was all done! Really wasn't too bad at all, had a bit of adjusting to do to get the freeplay right at the top of the pedal but I was being fussy. The worst bit was I was on my own, I just kept making sure it was all level, I also kept measuring the gap between engine and gearbox to make sure it went it straight.

I have taken a bucket load of pictures which I will upload soon, got to get it running next, then I can test drive it before cleaning and painting! Very happy so far :D

Lucky enough there is very little play in the shaft on mine, I expect it had been done before.

Will you have time over christmas to get yours together?