Engine oil pressure

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Engine oil pressure

Post by Nick »

Hi guys, what do your dextas have in the way of oil pressure?

As some of you know, I have just totally re-built mine, meaning three liners, one conrod, pistons, rings, crank re-grind, new shells, new oil pump, basicly everything is brand new and tight.

I have put 15w 40 oil in it, should it be different or is that ok to run it on for a bit?

I bought a little gauge which goes up to 60psi which I screwed into the block, I havent started the engine yet, but even turning it over on the starter its showing 60psi!!!

Is something not right here, or am I just worrying a bit too much? :lol:
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Engine oil pressure

Post by sky blue »

youll never know untill you let her go , she will probley sing sweet as a bird, :lol:
i think we all go through this after a rebuild but only one way to find out. be ready to cut her off if
any thing sounds iffy, try not to pannic as i did the first time when the fan scraped the the rad cowl
on start up and i pressed the throttle forward instead of back to stop her, :oops: but all was well
in the end, good luck

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was just a little surprised that it would hit 60psi just on the starter motor, although because everything is so new and tight inside the engine I suppose it should be high, and then maybe drop a little once run in. I will be happier once I see oil at the rockers too though, we will see ........
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Well, it runs!!! Although it was a bit hesitant at first, I dont think the battery on it is big enough, and not turning it over fast enough, ive got it charging now so we will see. Regarding oil pressure, its still registering high, but I think the gauge i have is for air not liquid, would that make a difference? Also, its not a steady pressure, its jumping up and down all the time :?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Sounds like my oil pressure.
Beware the dreaded light load syndrome. :wink:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=5746
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Yeah, looks like I have put an air gauge on it, not oil damped! which is why im getting strange readings so im going to buy one. Im not comfortable just having the oil light, so im going to install a y adaptor in the block so I can wire the dash light and a discreet oil pressure gauge somewhere, just for piece of mind.

I started it up yesterday with a good charged battery, and it fired up straight away no problems!

As for the light load thing, we have a corn mill I can attach the tractor to, and you can adjust the load put on the tractor, so it will going on the mill for a bit to help run it in, plus I have just acquired a 2 furrow fergy plough, would the dexta suit this?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:As for the light load thing, we have a corn mill I can attach the tractor to, and you can adjust the load put on the tractor, so it will going on the mill for a bit to help run it in, plus I have just acquired a 2 furrow fergy plough, would the dexta suit this?
Two furrows should be fine, but there seems to be mixed views on Fergy ploughs esp from our one and only Grumpy guru:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 82&p=40533

On the other hand, I believe that fergy ploughs have steel points rather than the cast points on Ransomes, so the fergy ones are less inclined to break if they hit a rock.

Let us know how you get on. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

Great to hear you got her running which means everything engine wise is good
iwas going toask you about the guage but you have sorted that out anyway
as ben says get her into hard work from the off, the tractor wont know if its a fergy plowor not
:D get her working

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

For the most part a gauge is a gauge. Your gauge will stop flickering if you restrict the oil flow to it. I have done this in the past by plugging the inlet with a plug with a very small hole through it of about 1mm. Fluid filled gauges will do the same as the one you have but are last much longer under vibration.
You can buy mini ball m/f valves and if installed between the block and gauge will work well to restrict flow and stop your gauge flickering.
For my money I doubt a gauge has much real value beyond confirming oil pressure after a rebuild. They have no value in saving the engine if there is a failure unless by some remote chance you are looking at it at the time.
Please to hear you have it running and it sounds like you have a good engine.