Fordson Dexta transmission locked up

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Dexta transmission locked up

Post by firesweep »

I jumped on my Fordson Dexta the other night in the cold weather and cranked it up and after only a few seconds, it seized and killed the engine. It NEVER does this. In fact, it always runs great, uses no oil, starts without either.. anyway, I narrowed it down to a transmission problem. The main shaft seems to be locked. I can start the engine with the clutch pedal in, and it runs. When the clutch pedal is released the engine stops immediately. The rear wheels will ONLY turn when the transmission is in neutral. I'm tearing it down in my shop now, and I couldn't find many pics on this forum to help people with little knowledge of these tractors. So I wanted to post this thread, inviting any and all helpful tips or info, as well as sharing pics of each step of my project for those (including ME) that may need them at a later date.. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

THIS WILL SHOW A COUPLE PICS, BUT MY PHOTOBUCKET SETTING FOR THIS ALBUM IS PUBLIC SO FEEL FREE TO ACCESS THEM ALL IF YOU WANT!!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Fordson Dexta transmission locked up

Post by Bensdexta »

I trust you have a copy of the workshop manual?
Useful set of pics, thanks.
Sounds like you have a Christmas project! :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Mine sometimes hangs up and i have to remove the top plate with the shiftier levers re-Aline the slide gears to the neutral position replace top and good to go.

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Bensdexta wrote:I trust you have a copy of the workshop manual?
Sounds like you have a Christmas project! :wink:

I'm using an online copy... which I'm glad you mentioned, because I wanted to post the link anyway.

http://www.fordson.se/6_8_Dexta_verksta ... 01-198.pdf

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

oldcharlie wrote:Mine sometimes hangs up and i have to remove the top plate with the shiftier levers re-Aline the slide gears to the neutral position replace top and good to go.
I checked that.. and it seems to be aligned. Not to mention that in 'neutral' the wheels roll, but as soon as I put it in gear and WITH the clutch in, they lock solid. This leads me to believe there's a bearing failure somewhere. I'll update this post for anyone else that may ever have this problem. Thanks for your responses.

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

firesweep wrote:I jumped on my Fordson Dexta the other night in the cold weather and cranked it up and after only a few seconds, it seized and killed the engine. It NEVER does this. In fact, it always runs great, uses no oil, starts without either.. anyway, I narrowed it down to a transmission problem. The main shaft seems to be locked. I can start the engine with the clutch pedal in, and it runs. When the clutch pedal is released the engine stops immediately. The rear wheels will ONLY turn when the transmission is in neutral. I'm tearing it down in my shop now, and I couldn't find many pics on this forum to help people with little knowledge of these tractors. So I wanted to post this thread, inviting any and all helpful tips or info, as well as sharing pics of each step of my project for those (including ME) that may need them at a later date.. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

THIS WILL SHOW A COUPLE PICS, BUT MY PHOTOBUCKET SETTING FOR THIS ALBUM IS PUBLIC SO FEEL FREE TO ACCESS THEM ALL IF YOU WANT!!

Ok.. it looks like I may have found the offending bearing! Here's where I need your help.. check out these pics. Is it normal for this bearing to fall apart upon splitting the clutch housing from the gearbox? Where can I find this bearing new? As soon as I cracked the case from the gearbox, everything freed up and turned perfectly.. which leads me to believe that one of the little small 'needles' fell out or overlapped and seized it up. Let me know what you guys think... Thanks in advance!

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

firesweep wrote:I jumped on my Fordson Dexta the other night in the cold weather and cranked it up and after only a few seconds, it seized and killed the engine. It NEVER does this. In fact, it always runs great, uses no oil, starts without either.. anyway, I narrowed it down to a transmission problem. The main shaft seems to be locked. I can start the engine with the clutch pedal in, and it runs. When the clutch pedal is released the engine stops immediately. The rear wheels will ONLY turn when the transmission is in neutral. I'm tearing it down in my shop now, and I couldn't find many pics on this forum to help people with little knowledge of these tractors. So I wanted to post this thread, inviting any and all helpful tips or info, as well as sharing pics of each step of my project for those (including ME) that may need them at a later date.. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

UPDATE!!! After taking my main input shaft to the local New Holland dealer and having new bearings installed.. we discovered that indeed, the main shaft spigot (needle) bearing had lost a needle or two and in fact found one of these needles flattened and matted in between two of the helical gear teeth. This re-assured me that my assessment may be correct. It was definitely locking the gears. New bearing now, ready to put it all back in place and hope for no further problems!! Thanks for helping and hopefully this thread will help serve as a 'Dexta for dummies' like myself page later on.

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Upon further inspection prior to reassembly.. I found THIS. No idea what this is.. anyone know? Is this something I need to replace.. looks like the drive end of a 3/8 ratchet.. you can see the ball bearing 'lock' on it.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Where did you find it? Could it be a foreign object?

Is it complete or does it have fractured surfaces indicating something has broken off?

You've been very quick sorting the spigot bearing! :wink:

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Bensdexta wrote:Where did you find it? Could it be a foreign object?

Is it complete or does it have fractured surfaces indicating something has broken off?

Thanks Bensdexta.. This piece was laying directly under the clutch housing/gearbox split in the floor in a pool of old oil. The grooves are a perfect match to the teeth on the lower gear, so there's definitely been some major interference there. I have come to the conclusion that it is a piece of the gearshifter... which shows to have been broken and a homemade piece welded on it in place of what was broken. Perhaps this piece was welded on first, or it's the original. Not sure... either way it stands to reason that whatever broke off of the gearshift went into the gearbox and couldn't have easily been retrieved. Gonna begin re-assembly in the morning.. I have found absolutely no other damage anywhere other than the spigot bearing.

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Thanks Bensdexta.. This piece was laying directly under the clutch housing/gearbox split in the floor in a pool of old oil. The grooves are a perfect match to the teeth on the lower gear, so there's definitely been some major interference there. I have come to the conclusion that it is a piece of the gearshifter... which shows to have been broken and a homemade piece welded on it in place of what was broken. Perhaps this piece was welded on first, or it's the original. Not sure... either way it stands to reason that whatever broke off of the gearshift went into the gearbox and couldn't have easily been retrieved. Gonna begin re-assembly in the morning.. I have found absolutely no other damage anywhere other than the spigot bearing.

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I think I'm correct in saying that the original gear shifters are a single piece, ie no welded-on end.

Has your shifter clearly had a new end welded on? If yes then your explanation sounds plausible.

If so, perhaps a previous owner welded on a new end(s) to correct the well-known wear problem on dexta shifters.

Sounds like you've done a thorough job - and fast too! BTW where are you?

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Bensdexta wrote:I think I'm correct in saying that the original gear shifters are a single piece, ie no welded-on end.

Has your shifter clearly had a new end welded on? If yes then your explanation sounds plausible.

If so, perhaps a previous owner welded on a new end(s) to correct the well-known wear problem on dexta shifters.

Sounds like you've done a thorough job - and fast too! BTW where are you?
Yes Bensdexta, the shifter has always had a visible weld on it.. once in a blue moon it hangs up. I'm gonna try to find another one once this is finished. I capped it up today and everything seems to be working smoothly now. I'm gonna go ahead and steam genie it and blast the hood/grille and paint it I guess, while it's all apart. I'm located in the Tri-State area where Tn-Ky-Va all meet. Thanks for your assistance.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Just to be clear, does your Dexta have a single or double clutch?

What was the part no of the 'spigot' needle bearing? Did you get the new one from your NH dealer?

BTW What do you use your Dexta for?

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Bensdexta wrote:Just to be clear, does your Dexta have a single or double clutch?

What was the part no of the 'spigot' needle bearing? Did you get the new one from your NH dealer?

BTW What do you use your Dexta for?
Double Clutch.. It was part number A14858, and yes the local New Holland dealer had it in stock. I bought this tractor for bush-hogging on my farm, but have since used it for posthole digging, hay moving, just anything I need.. I've been impressed with how good it's done. It never burns oil, starts without either everytime.. it's never failed me. That's why I had to fix it... too good to put it down. :) I thought I might as well go ahead and steam it off and maybe paint it while it's apart.. posting pics. lol

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Look forward to seeing some pics, when you get the chance!
Any snow in your neck of the woods? :wink:

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Not much... hasn't been as bad as last year. The cold however is making difficult for this painting project. My shop doesn't have the best heating system. :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Yes, unfortunately not the best time of year to be painting.
How do you dig post holes? Have you a back hoe? :wink:

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

I have a set of auger drills for this tractor.. bought them damaged as well, but got them working pretty good now. :)

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »