Tacho drive

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Tacho drive

Post by Nick »

My dextas tacho didnt work when I got the tractor, naturally I do want it working when the tractor is finished, so I tested it earlier, the tacho itself is ok, but it looks like the cable has sheared inside the injector pump.

What I want to know is, to remove the tacho drive do you just undo the four bolts? Just thought I would check before I attempt it :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Tacho drive

Post by Bensdexta »

The tacho drive cable has a square section end, which should just pull out of the pump.
If you can't get hold of the broken end, guess you'll have to take the end off the pump.

Beware that the end on some of the repro cables is too short and doesn't engage properly in the pump. I threw away my repro cable and refitted my original after greasing it up.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 44&p=34059
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi ben, thanks for the reply. The tacho cable I have is the original one, I haven't bought a new one because I figured if its been on there 50 years it will last a bit longer!

I had a look in the back of the pump and it looks as though the end of the cable has snapped off where it goes inside the pump drive, because there is only a tiny little hole, the same size as the internal part of the end of the cable.

I just really wanted to make sure that if I take the end of the pump off where the tacho cable screws in, that I wouldn't damage anything :D

I couldnt see the three photos at the end of that link, have they expired?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:I just really wanted to make sure that if I take the end of the pump off where the tacho cable screws in, that I wouldn't damage anything :D
I couldnt see the three photos at the end of that link, have they expired?
I've not removed the end of my pump, so can't advise on this other than to say I think disassembly is covered in the workshop manual.

Ref the pics, I need to rehost them as the 'tractorsearch' website seems to have quit.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!