Dexta liners

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Samc123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta liners

Post by Samc123 »

I have got a 1962 dexta, whats a good method off getting the liners out?. I am going to purchase the full engine overhaul kit from agriline, is there anything else important to change, while Ive got it in bits?..

russelm
True Blue

Re: Dexta liners

Post by russelm »

I had to have mine machined out and the new ones pressed in.

Then of course they need boring to size
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

As Mark says the best way to get the liners out is by having them pressed or machined out although I do know people who have done it themselves by welding a ring in the liner and shrinking it so that it will push out.

Dexta liners were originally a press fit then bored to size and, in the past, we had quite a few posts from people who fitted new liners without boring them out. The result was usually a seized engine after a short run, however after=market suppliers sometimes supply liners for the 3.152 that is fitted to the MF 35. These push into the bore and have a retaining lip at the top. The Dexta block has to be machined to take this retainer. I would also suspect that you have the 152 liners in your kit rather than the ones for a 144 Dexta engine. You need to check this, it will be no problem and you will not have a "Super" Dexta after youm have fitted them, just a Dexta with a bigger bore.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

bennyo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bennyo »

Over the weekend I removed the old liners out of my Dexta engine block. Made up a disc on the lathe to fit the top of the liner to allow it to be pushed through. Initially tried to pull the liners through with a piece of threaded bar attached to the machined disc, winding a nut on the threaded bar using a large shifter. Found the liners were way too tight a fit to remove in this way.

Fortunately I work for a company with a large workshop so was able to use the press to push them out.

As Brian mentioned, the old original liners that I removed were just a straight press fit and the new liners (from Bare Co overhaul kit) have the retaining lip. So currently have the block in being machined to allow the retainer to fit.