earth leads

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

earth leads

Post by spike »

any one know if dexta is pos earth or neg as i have 2 pos lead connectors, i think it may be pos earth

thank you
spike

spike
True Blue

Re: earth leads

Post by spike »

think i foud it in the search looks like its pos earth

thanks
if i have it wrong just shout up please

spike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Originally Dextas were positive earth, however in a life of over 50 years some may have been converted to Negative earth. If you have an alternator fitted it will certainly be Negative earth.

To be sure and avoid burning out regulator and dynamo, with the wires removed from the back of the dynamo, take a wire from the Live Battery Terminal and flash it to the Small terminal (Field) on the dynamo. This will correctly polarise the dynamo to what ever battery terminal is earth.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Just to add to Brian's post, please ensure you correctly identify whether you have a Dynamo (One piece cast body with a bulge at the back to hold the rear bearing, One large terminal and one small (usually with nuts to hold the cable on) with a regulator inside the lower binnacle (the regulator is usually a large black body). The alternator generally has a body comprising multiple laminations of sheet steel with a plastic rear cover and Aluminium front casting with Large and Small terminals mounted in a recess, terminals parallel with no Regulator.
Only flash a generator.
cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you, sorted poss earth, now i just need to fit the new front wheel bearings